- AND he called his twelve disciples, and gave them power over the unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and sickness.
- The names of the twelve apostles are these: The first of them Simon who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother;
James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
- Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew the publican, James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus surnamed Thaddaeus;
- Simon the Zealot, and Judas of Iscariot, who betrayed him.
- These twelve Jesus sent out, and charged them and said, Keep away from pagan practices, and do not enter a Samaritan city;
- But above all, go to the sheep which are lost from the house of Israel.
- And as you go, preach and say, that the kingdom of heaven is near.
- Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons;
freely you have received, freely give.
- Do not accumulate gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses;
- Nor a bag for the journey, nor two shirts and shoes, nor a staff;
for a laborer is at least worthy of his food.
- Whatever city or town you enter, ask who is trustworthy in it, and remain there until you leave.
- And when you enter into the house, salute the family.
- And if the family is trustworthy, your salutation of peace shall come upon it;
but if it is not trustworthy, your salutation shall return to you.
- Whoever will not welcome you, and will not listen to your words, when you leave the house or the village, shake off the sand from your feet.
- Truly I say to you, that it will be easier for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that city.
- ¶ Behold, I am sending you like lambs among the wolves;
therefore be wise as serpents, and pure as doves.
- But be careful of men;
for they will deliver you up to the courts, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
- And they will bring you before the presence of governors and kings for my sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.
- But when they deliver you up, do not worry as to how or what you will speak;
for it will be given to you in that very hour what you are to speak.
- For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father, which speaks through you.
- Brother will deliver up his own brother to death, and father his son;
and children will rise up against their parents and put them to death.
- And you will be hated by everybody because of my name;
but he who endures until the end shall live.
- When they persecute you in this city, escape to another;
for truly I say to you, that you shall not finish converting all the cities of the house of Israel, until the Son of man returns.
- No disciple is more important than his teacher, and no servant than his master.
- It is enough for a disciple to be like his teacher, and for a servant to be like his master.
If then, they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more those of his household.
- Therefore do not be afraid of them;
for there is nothing covered that will not be uncovered, and hidden that will not be known.
- What I tell you in the dark, tell it in the daylight;
and what you hear with your ears, preach on the house tops.
- Do not be afraid of those who kill the body, but who cannot kill the soul;
but above all, be afraid of him who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell.
- Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?
And yet not one of them will fall on the ground without your Father’s will.
- But so far as you are concerned, even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
- Therefore fear not;
you are much more important than many sparrows.
- Everyone therefore who will acknowledge me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.
- But whoever will deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father in heaven.
- ¶ Do not expect that I have come to bring peace on earth;
I have not come to bring peace but a sword.
- For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
- And a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.
- Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me;
and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
- And whoever does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
- He who is concerned about his life shall lose it;
and he who loses his life for my sake shall find it.
- Whoever receives you, receives me;
and whoever receives me, receives him who sent me.
- He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet, shall receive a prophet’s reward;
and whoever receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man, shall receive a righteous man’s reward.
- Anyone who gives a drink to one of these little ones, if only a cup of cold water, in the name of a disciple, truly I say to you, he shall never lose his reward.