- AND the Pharisees and Sadducees came up to him to tempt him;
and they asked him to show them a sign from heaven.
- But he answered and said to them, When it is evening, you say, It is clear, for the sky is red.
- And in the morning you say, It is a winter day, for the sky is red and cloudy.
O hypocrites, you know how to judge the face of the sky, but the signs of the present time you are not able to distinguish.
- A wicked and adulterous generation wants a sign;
and no sign shall be given to it, except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
And he left them and went away.
- When his disciples came to the crossing place, they had forgotten to take bread with them.
- He said to them, Look out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
- And they were reasoning among themselves and saying, It is because we have not brought bread.
- But Jesus knew it and said to them, What are you thinking among yourselves, O you of little faith;
is it because you have not brought bread?
- Do you not yet understand?
Do you not remember the five loaves of bread of the five thousand, and how many baskets you took up?
- Neither the seven loaves of bread of the four thousand, and how many baskets you took up?
- How is it that you did not understand that I was not talking to you about the bread, but to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
- Then they understood, that he did not say that they should beware of the leaven of the bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.
- ¶ When Jesus came to the country of Caesarea of Philippi, he asked his disciples saying, What do the men say concerning me, that I am merely a son of man?
- They said, There are some who say John the Baptist, others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah, or one of the prophets:
- He said to them, Who do you say that I am?
- Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
- Jesus answered and said to him, Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but my Father in heaven.
- I tell you also that you are a stone, and upon this stone I will build my church;
and the doors of Sheol shall not shut in on it.
- I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven;
and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you release on earth shall be released in heaven.
- Then he charged his disciples not to tell any man that he is the Christ.
- ¶ From that time Jesus began to make known to his disciples, that he will shortly have to go to Jerusalem, and suffer a great deal from the elders, and the high priests and scribes, and be killed, and rise up on the third day.
- So Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, and he said, Far be it from you, my Lord, that this should happen to you.
- But he turned, and said to Peter, Get behind me, Satan, you are a stumbling-block to me;
for you are not thinking of the things of God, but of men.
- ¶ Then Jesus said to his disciples, He who wishes to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me.
- For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it;
and whoever loses his life for my sake shall find it.
- For how will a man be benefited, if he should gain the whole world and lose his own soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
- For the Son of man will come in the glory of his Father with his holy angels;
and then he will reward each man according to his works.
- Truly I say to you, There are men who stand here, who will not taste death, until they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.