- IN those days came John the Baptist;
and he was preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
- Saying, Repent;
for the kingdom of heaven is near.
- For it was he of whom it was said by the prophet Isaiah, The voice which cries in the wilderness, Prepare the way of the Lord, and straighten his highways.
- Now the same John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had leathern belts around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey.
- Then there went out to him, Jerusalem and all of Judaea, and the whole country around Jordan.
- And they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, as they confessed their sins.
- But when he saw a great many of the Pharisees and Sadducees who were coming to be baptized, he said to them, O offspring of scorpions, who has warned you to escape from the anger which is to come?
- Bring forth therefore fruits which are worthy of repentance;
- And do not think and say within yourselves, We have Abraham as our father;
for I say to you that God can raise up children for Abraham from these stones.
- Behold, the axe is already placed at the root of the trees;
therefore, every tree which bears not good fruits shall be cut down and dropped in the fire.
- I am just baptizing you with water for repentance;
but he who is coming after me is greater than I, the one even whose shoes I am not worthy to remove;
he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
- Whose shovel is in his hand, and he purifies his threshings;
the wheat he gathers into his barns, and the straw he burns up in the unquenchable fire.
- ¶ Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.
- But John tried to stop him, and said, I need to be baptized by you, and yet have you come to me?
- But Jesus answered and said to him, Permit now, for this is necessary for us so that all righteousness may be fulfilled;
and then he permitted him.
- ¶ When Jesus was baptized, he immediately came out of the water;
and the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and coming upon him;
- And behold, a voice from heaven, which said, This is my beloved Son, with whom I am pleased.