- ¶ THE wound of Nineveh, which is in the book of the visions of Nahum the Alkoshite.
- ¶ God is zealous, and the LORD is avenging;
the LORD is avenging and is furious;
the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserves wrath for his enemies.
- The LORD is slow to anger great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked;
the LORD’S way is in the whirlwind and in the tempest, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
- He rebukes the sea and makes it dry, and dries up all the rivers;
Mathnin and Carmel languish, and the flower of Lebanon withers.
- The mountains quake before him and the hills break loose;
the earth trembles at his presence, yea, the world and all that dwell therein.
- Who can stand before his indignation?
Who can endure in the fierceness of his wrath?
His fury burns like fire, and the mountains melt at his presence.
- The LORD is good, a great help in the day of trouble;
and he knows those who trust in him.
- But with a rushing flood he will make an utter end of the place of his adversaries, and darkness shall pursue his enemies.
- ¶ What do you imagine against the LORD?
He will make an utter end;
affliction shall not rise up the second time.
- Because from the lowest among them up to their rulers they are rebellious, they stagger in their drunkenness;
they have eaten and are filled with dry rubbish.
- Out of you shall come forth one who imagines evil against the LORD and gives wicked counsel.
- Thus says the LORD: Against the watersheds of many waters, they have run down and vanished;
though I have humbled you, I will humble you no more.
- For now I will break his yoke from off you, and will burst your bonds asunder.
- And the LORD will give a commandment concerning you: Your name shall no more be propagated from the house of your god;
I will destroy the graven images and the molten images;
I will make your grave hastily.
- Behold upon the mountains, the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publishes peace!
O Judah, keep your solemn feasts and perform your vows;
the wicked shall no longer transgress against you, for he is utterly destroyed.