- ¶ THE LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
- Make two trumpets of silver;
of casting work shall you make them, that you may use them for the calling of the assembly and for the journeying of the camps.
- And when they shall blow with them, all the people shall assemble themselves to you at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- And if they blow but with one trumpet, the princes and the heads of the thousands of Israel shall gather themselves to you.
- When they blow the trumpet, the camps that lie on the east side shall take their journey.
- And when they blow with the second trumpet, the camps that lie on the south side shall take their journey;
they shall blow a trumpet for their journeys.
- But when the congregation is to be gathered together, you shall blow, but you shall not make a joyful noise.
- And the sons of Aaron the priest shall blow with the trumpets;
and they shall be to you for an ordinance for ever throughout your generations.
- And if you go to war in your land against the enemies that oppress you, you shall blow with the trumpets;
and you shall be remembered before the LORD your God, and you shall be delivered from your enemies.
- Also in the day of your gladness and in your solemn days and in the beginning of your months you shall blow with the trumpets over your burnt offerings and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings, that they may be to you for a memorial before your God;
I am the LORD your God.
- ¶ And it came to pass on the twentieth day of the second month, in the second year, the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle of the testimony.
- And the children of Israel took their journeys from the wilderness of Sinai;
and the cloud rested in the wilderness of Paran.
- And they took their journey for the first time according to the commandment of the LORD by the hand of Moses.
- In the first place went the standard of the camp of the children of Judah according to their armies;
and over their host was Nahshon the son of Amminadab.
- And over the host of the tribe of the children of Issachar was Nethanael the son of Zuar.
- And over the host of the tribe of the children of Zebulun was Eliab the son of Helon.
- And the tabernacle was taken down;
and the sons of Gershon and the sons of Merari set forward, carrying the tabernacle.
- And then the standard of the camp of Reuben set forward according to their armies;
and over their host was Elizur the son of Shedeur.
- And over the host of the tribe of the children of Simeon was Shelmuiel the son of Zurishaddai.
- And over the tribe of the children of Gad was Eliasaph the son of Reuel.
- Then the Kohathites set forward, carrying the sanctuary;
and they set up the tabernacle before the people came.
- And the standard of the camp of the children of Ephraim set forward according to their armies;
and over their host was Elishama the son of Ammihud.
- And over the host of the tribe of the children of Manasseh was Gamaliel the son of Perzur.
- And over the host of the tribe of the children of Benjamin was Abidan the son of Gideoni.
- And the standard of the children of Dan set forward, which was at the end of all the camps throughout their hosts;
and over the host of the tribe of the children of Dan was Ahiezer the son of Ammishaddai.
- And over the host of the tribe of the children of Asher was Pagiel the son of Ocran.
- And over the host of the tribe of Naphtali was Ahida the son of Enan.
- Thus was the order of the journeyings of the children of Israel according to their hosts.
- ¶ And Moses said to Hobab, the son of Reuel the Midianite, Moses’ father-in-law, We are journeying to the place of which the LORD said, I will give it to you.
Come with us, and we will do you good;
for the LORD has spoken good concerning Israel.
- But he said to him, I will not go;
but I will depart to my own land, where I was born.
- And Moses said to him, Do not leave us, for you know how we are to encamp in the wilderness, and you will serve as a guide for us.
- And if you shall go with us, it shall be that whatever goodness the LORD shall do to us, the same will we do to you.
- And they departed from the mount of God three days’ journey;
and the ark of the covenant of the LORD went before them a day’s journey to prepare a resting place for them.
- And the cloud of the LORD was upon them by day, when they went out of the camp.
- And it came to pass, when the ark set forward, Moses said, Arise, O LORD, and let them that hate thee be scattered;
and let thy enemies flee before thee.
- And when it rested, he said, Return, O LORD, to the many thousands of Israel.