- ¶ THE LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
- Send men that they may spy out the land of Canaan, which I give to the children of Israel;
of every tribe of their fathers shall you send a man, every one a chief among them.
- And Moses sent them from the wilderness of Paran by the commandment of the LORD;
all of those men were chieftains of the children of Israel.
- And these were their names: from the tribe of Reuben, Shammua the son of Zaccur.
- From the tribe of Simeon, Shaft the son of Hadi.
- From the tribe of Judah, Caleb the son of Jophaniah.
- From the tribe of Issachar, Negail the son of Joseph.
- From the tribe of Ephraim, Hosea the son of Nun.
- From the tribe of Benjamin, Palti the son of Daphu.
- From the tribe of Zebulun, Gaddi the son of Sori.
- From the tribe of Joseph, namely, of the tribe of Manasseh, Gaddi the son of Susi.
- From the tribe of Dan, Gamaliel the son of Gamli.
- From the tribe of Asher, Sethur the son of Michael.
- From the tribe of Naphtali, Nahbi the son of Vophsi.
- From the tribe of Gad, Geuel the son of Machir.
- These are the names of the men whom Moses sent to spy out the land.
And Moses called Hosea, the son of Nun, Joshua.
- And Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said to them, Go up this way into the south, and go up on the mountain
- And see what the land is, and the people who dwell in it, whether they are strong or weak, few or many;
- And what the land is, in which they dwell, whether it is fertile, or poor, or whether it has trees in it or not.
- Be of good courage, and bring some of the fruit of the land.
Now the time was the season of the first ripe grapes.
- ¶ So they went up and spied out the land from the wilderness of Zin to Rehob, which is at the entrance of Hamath.
- And they went up into the south, and came as far as Hebron, where Ahiman, Sheshai, and Tolmai, the sons of giants were.
(Now Hebron was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.)
- And they came as far as the valley of Segola, and cut down from there a branch with one bunch of grapes, and they carried it between two of them on a pole;
and they brought some pomegranates and some figs.
- That place was called the valley of Segola, because of the bunch of grapes which the children of Israel cut down from there.
- And they returned from spying out the land after forty days.
- ¶ And they came to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, to the wilderness of Paran, to Rakim;
and they brought back word to them and to all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land.
- And they related to Moses, and said, We went to the land to which you sent us, and surely it flows with milk and honey;
and this is the fruit of it.
- Nevertheless the people who dwell in the land are strong, and the cities are fortified and very great: and moreover we saw the sons of giants there.
- The Amalekites dwell in the land of the south;
and the Hittites and the Jebusites and the Amorites dwell in the mountains;
and the Canaanites dwell by the sea and by the banks of Jordan.
- Then Caleb stilled the people before Moses and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it;
for we are well able to overcome it.
- But the men who went up with him said, We are not able to go up against the people;
for they are stronger than we.
- And they brought up to the children of Israel an evil report of the land which they had spied out, saying, The land through which we have gone to spy out is a land that devours its inhabitants;
and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.
- There we saw giants, the sons of giants, the descendants of giants;
and we were in their sight like grasshoppers, and so we were in their eyes.