- ¶ AND the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
- Speak to the children of Israel, and take from every one of them a rod according to the house of their fathers, from all their princes according to the house of their fathers, twelve rods;
write each man’s name upon his rod.
- And you shall write Aaron’s name upon the rod of Levi;
for one rod shall be for the head of the tribe of their fathers.
- And you shall put them in the tabernacle of the congregation before the testimony, where I will meet with you.
- And it shall come to pass, that the rod of the man with whom I am pleased shall bud;
thus I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, whereby they murmur against you.
- And Moses spoke to the children of Israel, and every one of their princes gave him a rod apiece, for each prince one, according to their fathers’ houses, twelve rods;
and the rod of Aaron was in the midst of their rods.
- And Moses placed the rods before the LORD in the tabernacle of the testimony.
- ¶ And on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of the testimony;
and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and blossomed, and yielded ripe almonds.
- And Moses brought out all the rods from before the LORD to all the children of Israel;
and they looked, and took every man his rod.
- And the LORD said to Moses, Bring Aaron’s rod back before the testimony, to be kept as a token for the rebellious children;
so that their murmurings may cease from me, that they die not.
- And Moses did so;
as the LORD commanded him, so did he.
- And the children of Israel said to Moses, Behold, we perish and are lost, we all perish.
- Whosoever comes near to the tabernacle of the LORD shall die;
and, behold, we also are near to perish.