- ¶ THEN came the daughters of Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, of the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph;
and these are the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Joah, and Hogla, and Milcah, and Tirzah.
- And they stood before Moses and before Eleazar the priest and before the princes and all the congregation at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying,
- Our father died in the wilderness, and he was not in the company of those who revolted before the LORD in the company of Korah;
but he died in his own sins and had no sons.
- Why should the name of our father be lost from among his family because he had no son?
Give to us therefore a possession among the brothers of our father.
- And Moses brought their cause before the LORD.
- And the LORD said to Moses,
- The daughters of Zelophehad speak right, you shall surely give them a possession of an inheritance among their father’s brothers;
and you shall cause the inheritance of their father to pass to them.
- And you shall say to the children of Israel, If a man dies and has no son, then you shall cause his inheritance to pass to his daughter.
- And if he has no daughter, then you shall give his inheritance to his brothers.
- And if he has no brothers, then you shall give his inheritance to his father’s brothers.
- And if his father has no brothers, then you shall give his inheritance to his kinsman that is next to him of his family, and he shall possess it;
and it shall be to the children of Israel a statute of judgment, as the LORD commanded Moses.
- ¶ And the LORD said to Moses, Go up into this mountain of the Hebrews and see the land which I have given to the children of Israel.
- And when you have seen it, you also shall be gathered to your people, as Aaron your brother was gathered.
- Because you rebelled against my commandment in the wilderness of Zin, in the strife of the congregation, and you did not sanctify me before their eyes;
that is, the waters of Mesotha, at Rakim in the wilderness of Zin.
- ¶ And Moses spoke to the LORD, saying,
- Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, appoint a man over the congregation
- Who may go out before them and who may come in before them, and who may lead them out and bring them in;
that the congregation of the LORD may not be as sheep which have no shepherd.
- And the LORD said to Moses, Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay your hand upon him;
- And make him to stand before Eleazar the priest and before all the congregation;
and put him in charge in their sight.
- And you shall put some of your honor upon him that all the congregation of the children of Israel may obey him.
- And he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall ask for him after the ordinance of the law before the LORD;
at his word they shall go out and at his word they shall come in, both he and all the children of Israel with him, the whole congregation.
- And Moses did as the LORD commanded him;
and he took Joshua and made him stand before Eleazar the priest and before all the congregation;
- And he laid his hands upon him, and gave him authority, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.