- ¶ PAUL, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and brother Timotheus, to Philemon our dearly beloved and our fellow worker,
- And to our beloved Apphia and Archippus our fellow labourer, and to the congregation in your house:
- Grace be with you and peace from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ.
- I thank my God and always make mention of you in my prayers,
- Since I have heard of your faith and love, which you have toward our Lord Jesus and toward all saints,
- That the participation of your faith may bear fruits in works, and in knowledge of everything that is good which you have in Jesus Christ.
- For we have great joy and consolation in your love, and the hearts of the saints are refreshed.
- ¶ For this reason, I have great boldness in Christ, to command to you those things which are right,
- And for love’s sake I earnestly beseech you;
even I, Paul, an old man as you know, and now also a prisoner for the sake of Jesus Christ.
- I beseech you on behalf of my son Onesimus, whom I converted during my imprisonment:
- But of whom in the past you could not make use, but now he is very useful both to you and to me.
- I send him to you again;
welcome him as my own child;
- For I would have kept him with me to minister to me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel;
- But I did not wish to do anything without consulting you, that your good deeds might not be done as though by compulsion, but of your own desire.
- Perhaps this was the reason why he left you for a while, that you can now have him for ever;
- Henceforth not as a servant, but more than a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, and much more to you, both in the flesh and in our Lord.
- Now, therefore, if you still count me a partner, welcome him as you would me.
- And if he has caused you any loss or if he owes you anything, put it on my account.
- I, Paul, have written this with my own hand;
I will repay it, not reminding you that you owe to me even your own life.
- Indeed, my brother, let me have comfort through you in our Lord;
refresh my heart in Christ.
- Because I have confidence in your obedience, I wrote to you knowing that you will also do more than I ask.
- In addition to all this, prepare me a lodging;
for I hope that through your prayers I shall be spared to come to you.
- Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Jesus Christ, salutes you;
- So do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke, my fellow workers.
- The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.