- ¶ GOOD name is better than great riches, and loving favor than silver and gold.
- ¶ The rich and the poor meet together;
the LORD is the maker of them both.
- ¶ A prudent man sees an evil man scourged and is greatly instructed by it;
but fools pass by and suffer loss.
- ¶ The result of humility is reverence for the LORD, and riches and honor and life.
- ¶ Snares and traps are found on a crooked way;
he who keeps his soul shall be far from them.
- ¶ Train up a child in the way he should go;
and when he is old he will not depart from it.
- ¶ The rich shall be ruled by the poor, and the servant shall loan to his former lender.
- ¶ He who sows iniquity shall reap deceit;
and the staff of his anger shall be broken.
- ¶ He who has a bountiful eye shall be blessed;
for he gives of his bread to the poor.
- ¶ Destroy evil, cast out strife, do away with contention and reproach, lest they sit in the assembly and reproach all who are present.
- ¶ The LORD loves him who is pure in heart and is gracious to the lips of the king’s friends.
- ¶ The eyes of the LORD preserve knowledge and destroy the words of deceit.
- ¶ When he is sent on an errand, the sluggard says, There is a lion on the road!
and, Behold, there is murder in the streets!
- ¶ The mouth of a strange woman is a deep pit;
he with whom the LORD is angry shall fall into it.
- ¶ Foolishness moves the heart of a child;
but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
- ¶ He who oppresses the poor adds to his evil;
and he who gives to the rich, shall suffer a loss.
- ¶ Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge.
- For both of them are pleasant, keep them within you;
let them together be made ready on your lips.
- That your trust may be in the LORD, I have made these things known to you this day, even to you.
- Behold, this is the third time that I have written them to you,
- That I might make you know counsel and knowledge and peace and the words of truth;
so that you could answer words of truth to him who might send to you.
- ¶ Do not oppress the poor because he is poor;
neither afflict the needy in the gate.
- For the LORD will plead their cause and avenge the injustice which is done to them.
- ¶ Make no friendship with wrathful man;
and with a man given to anger you shall not go,
- Lest you learn his ways and find a stumbling block to your soul.
- ¶ Do not become a surety for a debt simply because you are ashamed to turn down those who ask you,
- For if you have nothing to pay, they will take your bed from under you.
- ¶ Remove not the ancient landmark which your fathers have set.
- ¶ When you see that a man is diligent in his work, he shall stand before kings;
he shall not stand before obscure men.