- ¶ BE not envious of evil men, neither desire to be with them,
- For their hearts devise evil and their lips talk of iniquity.
- ¶ Through wisdom a house is built;
and by understanding it is established;
- And by knowledge the inner chambers are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
- A wise man is better than a strong man;
yea, a man of knowledge than a mighty man.
- For by provocation is war waged;
and in a multitude of counsels there is salvation.
- ¶ Wisdom crushes a fool;
he opens not his mouth in the gate.
- He who devises to do evil shall be called a mischievous person.
- The thought of a fool is sin;
and an abomination of men is evil.
- ¶ The wicked shall be driven away by evil in the day of affliction.
- ¶ Deliver those who are led away to death, and spare not to redeem those who are held to be slain.
- If you say, Behold, I did not know it, then know that it is God who searches the thought of the heart;
and he who keeps your soul knows it, and shall render to every man according to his works.
- ¶ My son, eat honey because it is good, and the honeycomb, which is sweet to your taste.
- Thus shall wisdom find your soul;
and you will have good prospects, and your hope shall not be cut off.
- ¶ Do not devise plots of iniquity in the dwelling of the righteous;
do not spoil his resting place;
- For a righteous man falls seven times and rises up again;
but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
- ¶ Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he is overthrown,
- Lest the LORD see it and it displease him and he turn away his anger from him.
- ¶ Do not envy evildoers nor be jealous of the wicked;
- For there shall be no future for evil men, and the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
- ¶ My son, fear the LORD and give good counsel;
and meddle not with the fools;
- For their calamity shall come suddenly;
and who knows the end of their years?
- ¶ These things I say to the wise: It is not good to show partiality in judgment,
- Nor to say to a wicked man, You are righteous;
him shall the people curse, and nations shall abhor him.
- But to those who rebuke him shall be delight, and a good blessing shall come upon them.
- The people shall kiss the lips of those who give admonition.
- ¶ Prepare your work out of doors, and make it ready in the field;
and afterwards build your house.
- ¶ Be not a false witness against your neighbor;
and do not deceive him with your lips.
- Say not, I will do so to him as he has done to me;
I will render to him according to his works.
- ¶ I passed by the field of a sluggard, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding,
- And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and its stone wall was broken down.
- Then I looked upon it, and considered it well, and I received instruction:
- Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands upon your chest;
- So shall poverty come upon you, and want shall overtake you suddenly like a runner.