- ¶ THESE are the words of Agur the son of Jakeh, who prophesied and received power, He said to Ithliel,
- Surely, I am weak minded, and have not the understanding of men.
- I know not wisdom, nor have I learned the knowledge of the holy men.
- Tell me, Who has ascended up into heaven and come down?
Who has gathered the wind in his fists?
Who has bound the waters in a handkerchief?
Who has established all the borders of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his son’s name, if you can tell?
- Every word of God is pure;
he is a shield to those who put their trust in him.
- Do not add to his words;
lest he reprove you, and you be found a liar.
- ¶ Two things have I asked of thee;
deny them not to me before I die:
- Remove far from me vanity and lies;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
give me life sufficient
- Lest I be full, and lie, and say, Who is the LORD?
Or lest I be poor and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.
- ¶ Do not deliver a slave to his master, lest he curse you, and you be found guilty.
- There is a generation that curses their fathers, and does not bless their mothers.
- There is a generation that is pure in their own eyes, and vet is not washed from their filthiness.
- There is a generation.
O how lofty are their eyes!
and their eyelids are lifted up.
- There is a generation, whose teeth are like swords, and their jaw teeth like knives, to devour the poor from off the earth and the needy from among men.
- ¶ A gluttonous man has three beloved daughters.
There are three things that are never satisfied;
yea, a fourth that never says, It is enough:
and the barren womb;
the earth that is not filled with water;
and the fire that never says, It is enough.
- The eye that mocks at his father and despises the old age of his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out and the young vultures shall eat it.
- ¶ There are three things that are hidden from me, yea, four which I do not know:
- The way of an eagle in the air;
the way of a serpent upon a rock;
the way of a ship in the midst of the sea;
and the way of a man in his youth.
- Such is the way of an adulterous woman;
she eats, and wipes her mouth, and says, I have done no evil.
- Under three things the earth quakes, and under four it cannot endure:
- Under a servant when he reigns: and under a fool when he is filled with bread;
- Under an odious woman when she is married;
and under a maidservant who ousts her mistress.
- ¶ There are four things that are small upon the earth, but they are wiser than wise men:
- The ants which have no strength, yet they provide their food in the summer;
- The conies who lack strength, and yet they make their houses in the rocks;
- The locusts who have no king, and yet they all gather together.
- The chameleon which takes hold with her hands, but is found in kings’ palaces.
- ¶ There are three things that go well, yea, four are graceful in their going:
- The lion which is mightiest among beasts, and neither fears nor turns back before any of the beasts:
- The cock that walks proudly among the chickens;
the he-goat that goes before the flock;
and a king who speaks among the people.
- Covet not that you may not be reproached;
do not feed yourself by things acquired wrongfully.
- Out of the richness of the milk comes forth butter;
and if you press your hand on a raw grain of wheat, it will bring forth juices;
thus out of the strife goes forth judgment.