- ¶ HEAR, O my children, the instruction of a father, and give ear to knowledge and understanding.
- Because I give you good doctrine, do not forsake my law.
- For I was also a son to my father, tender and the only begotten in the sight of my mother.
- He taught me, and said to me, Let your heart hold fast my words;
keep my commandments, and live;
and let my law be as the pupil of the eye.
- Get wisdom, get understanding;
and turn not aside from the words of my mouth.
- Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you;
love her, and she will save you.
- Wisdom is the principal thing;
therefore get wisdom;
and with all your substance get understanding.
- Love her, and she shall exalt you;
embrace her, and she shall honor you.
- She shall put upon your head an ornament of grace;
a crown of glory shall she bestow upon you.
- Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings;
and the years of your life shall be many.
- I have taught you the ways of wisdom;
I have led you in right paths.
- When you walk, your steps will not be unsteady;
and when you run, you will not stumble.
- Take fast hold of my instruction, and do not forsake her;
keep her, for she is your life.
- ¶ Do not walk in the way of evil men, and do not envy the way of the wicked.
- The place where they dwell, do not pass by it, turn away from it,
- For they do not sleep until they have done mischief;
and their sleep is taken away until their evil devices are carried out.
- For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
- But the path of the righteous is like the shining light that shines more and more unto the perfect day.
- The way of the wicked is like darkness;
they do not know at what they stumble.
- ¶ My son, attend to my words;
incline your ear to my sayings.
- Do not let them depart from your eyes;
but keep them in the midst of your heart.
- For they are life to him who finds them, and health to all his flesh.
- Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life.
- Put away from you a perverse mouth, and the counsel of deceit put far from your lips.
- Let your eyes look straight forward, and let your eyelids look straight before you.
- Keep your feet away from evil paths;
then all your ways shall be firm.
- Turn not to the right hand nor to the left;
but remove your foot from evil.