- ¶ WISDOM has built her house, she has set up in it seven pillars;
- She has slaughtered her beasts;
she has mingled her wine;
she has also prepared her table.
- She has sent forth her servants to cry out upon the highest places and say,
- Whosoever is simple, let him come to me;
as for him who lacks understanding, she said to him,
- Come, eat of my bread and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- Forsake folly, and live;
and go in the way of understanding.
- Correction for a bad man brings disgrace;
the wicked man is rebuked by his own blemish.
- Reprove not a bad man, lest he hate you;
rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.
- Give an opportunity to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser;
teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- The reverence of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
and the knowledge of the righteous is understanding.
- For by her your days shall be multiplied, and the years of your life shall be increased.
- My son, if you are wise, you are wise for yourself and for your friends;
but if you are evil-minded, you alone shall bear your evils;
- ¶ He who denies things falsely feeds on winds and pursues fowl of the air;
for he has forsaken the way to his vineyard and the paths of his labor, to journey in the wilderness without water;
in the places that are trodden he travels thirsty and gains nothing.
- A foolish woman is enticing;
she does not know what shame is;
she sits at the door of her home on a high seat,
- She calls those who pass by, who go right on their ways;
- She says, He who is simple, let him come to me;
and as for him who lacks understanding, she says to him,
- Stolen waters are sweet and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.
- But he does not know that the mighty men perish with her and that her guests are in the depths of Sheol.
(9:19) Now rise up, and do not abide in that place;
do not cast your eye at her;
thus pass by the waters of strangers;
cross over a strange river, and turn away from the waters of strangers;
you shall not drink of the waters of strangers.
For in doing so a multitude of days and years of life shall be added to you.