- ¶ PRAISE the Lord.
O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
for his mercy endures for ever.
- Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD?
Who can show forth all his praise?
- Blessed are they that keep his judgments, and they that do righteousness at all times.
- Remember us, O LORD, with the favor that thou bearest to thy people;
O visit us with thy salvation,
- That we may see the good of thy chosen, that we may rejoice in thy joy, and be glorified with thine inheritance.
- ¶ We have sinned with our fathers, we have committed iniquity, we have done wickedly.
- Our fathers understood not thy wonders in Egypt;
they remembered not the multitude of thy mercies;
but provoked him at the sea, even at the Red Sea.
- Nevertheless he saved them for his name’s sake, that he might make his mighty power to be known.
- He rebuked the Red Sea also, and it was dried up;
so he led them through the depths, as through the wilderness.
- And he saved them from the hand of the enemy and delivered them from the hand of the oppressor.
- And the waters covered their enemies;
there was not one of them left.
- Then believed they his words;
they sang his praise.
- ¶ But they soon forgot God;
they trusted not in his counsel,
- But craved exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert.
- And he gave them their request;
and he supplied them with abundance.
- They plotted against Moses also in the camp, and Aaron the saint of the LORD.
- The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan, and covered the company of Abiram.
- And a fire was kindled in their company;
the flame burned up the wicked.
- They made a calf in Horeb, and worshipped the molten image.
- Thus they changed their Glorious One into the likeness of an ox that eats grass.
- They forgot God their Saviour, who had done great things in Egypt,
- Wondrous works in the land of Ham, and terrible things by the Red Sea.
- Therefore he said that he would destroy them, had not Moses his chosen stood before him in the breach, to turn away his wrath, lest he should destroy them.
- Yea, they despised the desired land, they believed not his word,
- But murmured in their tents, and hearkened not to the voice of the LORD.
- Therefore he lifted up his hand against them, to scatter them among the Gentiles,
- To scatter their descendants also among the nations, and to lose them in the lands.
- They worshipped also the idols of Baal-peor, and ate sacrifices offered for the dead.
- Thus they provoked him to anger with their acts;
they made him angry with their images, and the plague came upon them suddenly.
- Then Phinehas stood up and prayed, and so the plague was stopped.
- And that was counted to him for a victory to all generations for evermore.
- They angered him also at the waters of strife, so that it went ill with Moses for their sakes,
- Because they provoked his spirit, so that he spoke unadvisedly with his lips.
- ¶ And they did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them;
- But they were mingled among the Gentiles, and learned their works.
- And they served their idols, which were a snare to them.
- Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters to demons,
- And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan;
and the land was polluted with blood.
- Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went awhoring with their own inventions.
- Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance.
- And he gave them into the hand of the Gentiles;
and they that hated them ruled over them.
- Their enemies also subdued them, and they were brought into subjection under their hand.
- Many times did he deliver them;
but they provoked him with their counsel, and were humbled for their iniquity.
- Nevertheless he regarded their affliction and heard their prayer.
- And he remembered his covenant, and pitied them, and led them according to the multitude of his mercies.
- He made them also to be pitied of all those that carried them captives.
- Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the nations, that we may give thanks to thy holy name, and be glorified in thine inheritance.
- Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting;
and let all the people say, Amen and Amen.
Praise the LORD.