- ¶ EXCEPT the LORD build the house, they labor in vain who build it;
except the LORD keep the city, the watchmen stay awake in vain.
- It is in vain for those who rise up early, who sit up late;
they eat the bread of sorrows, for so he gives in sleep to his beloved.
- Lo, children are a heritage of the LORD;
and the fruit of the womb is a reward.
- Like arrows in the hand of a mighty man;
so are children of the youth.
- Blessed is the man who has his quiver full of them;
he shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with enemies in the gate.