- ¶ O LORD, thou hast searched me and known me.
- Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thoughts from above.
- Thou knowest my way and my paths, and art acquainted with all my ways.
- For if there is deception in my tongue, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
- From the beginning to the end, thou knowest me, O LORD, for thou hast formed and laid thy hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
- ¶ Whither shall I go from thy Spirit?
or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
- If I ascend into heaven, thou art there;
if I descend into Sheol, behold, thou art there also.
- If I lift up my wings like those of an eagle, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
- Even there also shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
- If I say, Surely the darkness shall be as light upon me;
even the night shall be light before my face.
- The darkness shall not be dark to thee;
but the night shines as the day;
the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
- For thou hast made my heart;
thou hast accepted me from my mother’s womb.
- I will praise thee, because of the wonders which thou hast done;
marvellous are thy works;
and that my soul knows right well.
- My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and marvellously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being imperfect;
and upon thy books all these things were written, even before day was and man was brought into existence.
- ¶ How precious also are thy mercies to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them?
- If I should count the best of them, they are more in number than the grains of sand;
when I awake I am still with thee.
- Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God;
depart from me therefore, you bloody men.
- For they speak against thee, and have taken thy city without cause.
- I hate them, O LORD, who hate thee;
and I am grieved with those who rise up against thee.
- I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them mine enemies.
- Search me, O God, and know my heart;
try me, and know my ways,
- And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.