- ¶ DELIVER me, O LORD, from the evil man;
preserve me from violent men,
- Who devise mischiefs in their heart;
continually do they stir up contention.
- They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent;
adders’ poison is under their lips.
- Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked;
preserve me from violent men, who have purposed to prevent my goings.
- The proud have hid a snare for me;
the cords of their net have they spread over my paths;
they have set a trap for me.
- I said to the LORD, Thou art my God;
hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD.
- O LORD, my mighty Saviour, thou art the shield of my head in the day of battle.
- ¶ Grant not, O LORD, the desires of the wicked;
further not their wicked devices;
let them not accomplish their purpose.
- Let the mischief of their own lips cover them.
- Let burning coals fall upon them;
let them fall into the fire, that they rise not up again.
- Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth;
evil shall hunt the violent man to destroy him.
- I know that the LORD will defend the cause of the afflicted and the right of the poor.
- Surely the righteous shall give thanks to thy name;
the upright shall dwell in thy presence.