- ¶ PLEAD my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me;
fight against them that fight against me.
- Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help.
- Draw out the sword and flash it against them that persecute me;
say unto my soul.
I am your Saviour.
- Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul;
let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise evil against me.
- Let them be as chaff before the wind, and let the angel of the LORD chase them.
- Let their way be dark and slippery, and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.
- For they have dug pits for me and have spread a snare for my soul.
- Let evil come upon them unawares;
and let the net that they have hidden trap them;
into that very pit which they have dug let them fall.
- My soul shall be joyful in God;
it shall rejoice in his salvation.
- All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto thee, who deliverest the poor from his enemies, yea, the poor and the needy from him that seizes his property by force?
- ¶ False witnesses rose up;
they charged me with things that I knew not.
- They rewarded me evil for good, and they destroyed my reputation among men.
- But as for me, when they were sick, I wore sackcloth;
I humbled my soul with fasting, and my prayer returned into my own bosom.
- I behaved myself as though they had been my friends and brothers;
I bowed down heavily, as one miserable in deep mourning.
- During my misery they gathered together and rejoiced;
yea, they gathered together against me for a long time, and I knew it not;
- With their boasting and mocking, they gnashed at me with their teeth.
- ¶ My LORD, I have suffered enough;
rescue my soul from their riot, my only one from the lions.
- I will give thee thanks in the great congregation;
I will praise thee among many people.
- Let mine enemies not rejoice over me, nor the mockers who hate me for no reason;
they wink with their eyes but they do not salute.
- Against the meek of the earth, they devise mischievous things.
- Yea, they opened their mouths wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye has seen it.
- This thou hast seen, O God;
keep not silence;
O my LORD, be not far from the.
- stir up thyself and awake to my judgment, see my suffering, my God and my LORD.
- judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness;
and let them not rejoice over me.
- Let them not say in their hearts, We have rid ourselves of him and we have buried him.
- Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion who wish me evil;
let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
- Let them who are pleased with my victory shout for joy and be glad;
yea, let them say continually, The LORD be magnified who has pleasure in the peace of his servant,
- And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.