- ¶ WE have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us what work thou hast wrought in their days, in the times of old;
- How thou didst destroy the Gentiles with thy hand, and established thy people;
how thou didst vex the kingdoms, and strengthened thy people.
- For they inherited not the land by their sword, neither did their own arm save them;
but thy right hand and thine arm and the light of thy countenance, because thou wast pleased with them.
- Thou art my King, O God;
for thou commandest deliverances for Jacob.
- Through thee will we pierce our enemies;
through thy name will we tread them under that hate us.
- For we trust not in our bows;
neither on our armour to save us.
- But thou hast saved us from those who hate us, and hast put to shame our enemies.
- We glorify thee, O God, all the day long, and praise thy name for ever.
- ¶ But now thou hast forsaken us and put us to shame, and goest not forth with our armies:
- But thou makest us to be defeated;
and our enemies have plundered us.
- Thou hast sold us like sheep appointed for meat;
and hast scattered us among the Gentiles.
- Thou hast sold thy people as a bargain, and dost not profit by their exchange.
- Thou makest us a reproach to our neighbours, a scorn and a derision to them that are round about us.
- Thou makest us a byword among the Gentiles, a shaking of the head among the nations.
- All the day long my disgrace is before me, and the shame of my face has covered me,
- Because of the voice of him who reproaches and blasphemes;
and because of the enemy that avenges.
- ¶ All this is come upon us;
yet have we not forgotten thee, neither have we dealt falsely in thy covenant.
- We have not turned back, neither have we swerved our steps from thy way;
- For thou hast humbled us a second time in the land, and covered us with the shadow of death.
- And yet we have not forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to stranger gods;
- God will look into this thing, for he knows the secrets of the heart.
- Yea, for thy sake are we killed every day;
we are counted as sheep for the slaughter.
- Awake and sleep not, O LORD;
remember us and forsake us not.
- Turn not thy face from us, and forget not our humiliation and our oppression;
- For our soul is humbled down to the dust;
our body touches the earth.
- Arise to help us;
redeem us for thy mercies’ sake.