- ¶ HEAR this, all people;
give ear, all inhabitants of the world,
- Children of earth and sons of men, rich and poor together.
- My mouth shall speak of wisdom;
and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
- I will incline my ear to parables;
I will chant my proverbs upon the harp.
- I will fear not in days of evil, when the iniquity of my enemies shall surround me,
- ¶ They who trust in their own strength and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches.
- A brother cannot save a brother, nor can a man give to God a ransom for himself;
- For the redemption of their souls is precious:
- Do good for ever and you shall live for ever, and not see corruption.
- But you will see wise men die;
likewise the fool and the weak minded shall perish and leave their wealth to others.
- Their graves shall be their only habitations for ever, and their dwelling places throughout generations;
their marked graves will be their only remembrance on earth.
- Nevertheless, such a man is not sustained by his honour;
his end will be as the beasts, and he will perish.
- This their way is their folly;
in the end, demented, they will graze like cattle.
- Like sheep they are consigned to the grave;
death shall feed on them;
and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning;
the grave shall consume their beauty, and they shall be cast out from their glory.
- ¶ But God will redeem my soul;
from the power of the grave he will raise me up.
- Be not afraid when one is made rich, when the glory of his house is increased;
- For when he dies he shall carry nothing away;
neither shall his glory descend after him.
- For while he lived, he lived comfortably;
he praised you when you favored him.
- His end shall be as his father’s was before him;
they shall never see light.
- Man cannot depend upon his honor for consolation, for if he does, he resembles the wild beasts.