- ¶ GIVE ear to my prayer, O God;
and reject not my supplication.
- Hear me and answer me;
return to my cry and incline to me,
- Because of mine enemies, because of the oppression of the wicked;
for they have devised iniquity against me, and reproached me.
- My heart is greatly pained within me;
and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
- Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and the shadow of death has overwhelmed me.
- And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove!
Then would I fly away and be at rest.
- Lo, then I would fly far off and dwell in the wilderness.
- I would wait for him that will save me from the windy storm and the tempest.
- ¶ Destroy, O LORD, and render useless their tongues;
for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night they go about it, around its walls;
injustice and mischief are in the midst of it.
- Wickedness is in the midst of it;
deceit and guile depart not from its streets.
- For it was not mine enemy that reproached me;
then I could have borne it;
neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me;
then I would have hid myself from him;
- But it was you, a man mine equal, my kinsman, and my friend.
- We ate a meal together in the house of God, and we walked in harmony.
- Bring death upon them;
bury them alive in the grave, because there is evil among them.
- ¶ As for me, I will call upon God;
and God shall save me.
- At evening and in the morning and at noon will I pray and cry aloud;
and he shall hear my voice.
- Deliver my soul from those who have been too wise for me, from those who have opposed me continuously.
- God, even the Eternal one, shall hear and humble them.
With them also there are no changes;
therefore they fear not God.
- They have put forth their hands against their neighbours, they have broken his covenant.
- They were afraid because of the anger in his countenance and the wrath in his heart;
his words were smoother than butter, yet were they sharp like the point of a spear.
- Cast your worries upon the LORD and he will sustain you;
he will never suffer the righteous to fear want.
- But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction;
bloody and deceitful men shall not live out their days;
but I will trust in thee.