- ¶ DELIVER me from mine enemies, O God;
defend me from them that rise up against me.
- Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men.
- For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul;
evil have they multiplied against me;
not because I have transgressed or because I have sinned, O LORD.
- They run and prepare themselves against me without considering whether I have been at fault;
- Awake to help me, and behold, O thou LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the nations, and spare not any wicked transgressors.
- They return at evening;
they make a noise like dogs, and go round about the city.
- Behold, they belch out with their mouths;
swords are in their lips;
for who, say they, does care?
- ¶ But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them;
thou shalt have all the nations in derision.
- To thee shall I give praise, O God, for thou art my defense.
- O God, thy lovingkindness has preceded me;
God has let me live to see my enemies avenged.
- Spare them for a living example, lest my people forget;
but scatter them by thy power, and bring them down, O LORD my hope.
- For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips.
let them even be taken in their pride;
for it is cursing and lying that they speak.
- Consume them in thy wrath, consume them, that they be no more, that they may know that God rules over Jacob and over the ends of the earth.
- And at evening let them return;
and let them make a noise like dogs, and go round about the city.
- Let them be hungry and not be filled, neither let them find a lodging place.
- But I will sing of thy power;
yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning;
for thou hast been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble.
- Unto thee, O God, will I sing;
for thou art God of my refuge and the God of my mercy.