- ¶ SAVE me, O God;
for the waters are come near to engulf me.
- I sink in deep mire where there is no footing;
I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.
- I am weary of my crying;
my throat is dry;
mine eyes fail while I wait for God.
- They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head;
they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty;
then I restored that which I took lawfully.
- O God, thou knowest my foolishness;
and my sins are not hid from thee.
- Let not them that trust in thee be ashamed through me, O LORD God of hosts;
let not those that seek thee be dishonored through me, O God of Israel.
- Because for thy sake I have borne reproach;
shame has covered my face.
- I am become a stranger to my brethren and an alien to my mother’s children.
- For the zeal of thy house has made me courageous;
and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.
- When I humbled and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.
- I made sackcloth also my garment and I became a proverb to them.
- They that sit in the gate speak against me;
and I was the song of the drunkards.
- ¶ But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time;
O God, in the multitude of thy mercy answer me, in the abundance of thy salvation,
- Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink;
let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
- Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the well shut its mouth upon me.
- Answer me, O LORD;
for thy lovingkindness is good;
turn to me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
- And hide not thy face from thy servant;
for I am in trouble;
answer me speedily.
- Draw near to my soul, and redeem it;
deliver me because of mine enemies.
- Thou knowest my reproach and my shame, and my dishonour is spread before all mine adversaries.
- O thou, heal my broken heart and bind it;
I looked for some to take pity, but there was none;
and for comforters, but I found none.
- They gave me bitter herbs for my food;
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- ¶ Let their table become a snare before them;
and that which should have been for their reward, let it become a trap.
- Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not;
and make their backs continually to bend.
- Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.
- Let their habitation be desolate;
and let none dwell in their tents.
- The one which thou hast smitten, they have persecuted;
they have added to the grief of him who is wounded.
- Add punishment of iniquity to their iniquity, that they may enter not into thy righteousness.
- Let them be blotted out of thy book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
- But I am poor and sorrowful;
let thy salvation help me, O God.
- ¶ I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
- This shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that has horns and hoofs.
- The humble shall see this and be glad;
and your heart shall live that seek God.
- For the LORD hears the poor, and despises not his prisoners.
- Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and every thing that moves therein.
- For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah;
- His servants shall dwell in it and shall inherit it;
they that love his name shall dwell therein.