- ¶ TRULY God is good to Israel, and to those who are pure in heart.
- But as for me, my feet were almost gone;
my steps had well nigh slipped.
- For I was envious of the wicked when I saw the prosperity of the ungodly.
- For there is no end to their death, and their folly is great.
- They share not in the toil of men;
neither are they scourged like other men.
- Therefore pride holds them fast;
they have concealed their wickedness and ungodliness.
- Their iniquity comes through like grease;
they do according to the evil dictates of the heart.
- They imagine and speak evil things: they talk unjustly against the most High.
- They have set their mouths in the sky, but their tongues drag in the dirt;
- Therefore will my people return hither, and they shall have everything in abundance.
- They shall say, How does God know?
and is there knowledge in the most High?
- Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world;
they are strong in power.
- As for me, I have cleansed my heart, and washed my hands in innocence.
- All the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
- ¶ If I say, I shall do as they do, this is sinful for me.
- When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me.
- Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
then understood I their end.
- Thou didst appoint their portion according to their deceitfulness;
thou didst cast them down when they exalted themselves.
- How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment!
They are utterly consumed with terrors.
- As one who awakes from a dream, so, O LORD, thou shalt despise their idolatry.
- ¶ Thus my heart was grieved, and my conscience troubled me.
- So foolish was I, and ignorant;
I was as a beast before thee.
- Thou shalt comfort me with thy counsel, and lead me according to thy honour.
- Whom have I in heaven but thee?
and whom have I desired upon earth besides thee?
- Nevertheless I am continually with thee;
thou hast held me by my right hand.
- My flesh and my heart fail;
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.
- For lo, they that are far from thee shall perish;
thou hast destroyed all them that go astray from thee.
- I was pleased to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the LORD God, that I mar declare all thy works.