- ¶ I SAW when the Lamb opened one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four animals saying in a voice as of thunder, Come and see.
- And I looked and beheld a white horse, and he who sat on him had a how, and a crown was given to him;
and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
- ¶ And when he opened the second seal, I heard the second animal say, Come and see.
- And there went out another horse, and it was red, and to him who sat on it was given power to take away peace from the earth, that people should kill one another;
and there was given to him a great sword.
- And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third animal say, Come and see.
And behold, I saw a black horse;
and he who sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
- And I heard a voice in the midst of the four animals say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny;
and see that you do not damage the oil and the wine.
- And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the fourth animal saying, Come and see.
- And I looked and beheld a green horse;
and the name of him who sat on him was Death, and Sheol followed after him.
And power was given him over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with death and with the wild beasts of the earth.
- ¶ And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the sake of the word of God and for the testimony of the Lamb which they had;
- And they cried with a loud voice saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?
- And a white robe was given to every one of them;
and it was said to them that they should rest yet for a little while, until the time should be fulfilled when their fellow servants and their brethren should be killed also as they had been.
- And I looked when he had opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake;
and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
- And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, even as a fig tree casts its green figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind.
- And the heavens separated, as a scroll when it is rolled separately;
and every mountain and island shifted from its resting place.
- And the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders of thousands and the rich and the mighty men and every bondman and every freeman hid themselves in caves and in clefts of the mountain,
- And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb;
- For the great day of his wrath is come, and who shall be able to stand?