- ¶ MY brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they might be saved.
- For I can testify for them that there is in them a zeal for God, but not according to the true knowledge.
- For they know not the righteousness of God, but seek to establish their own righteousness, and because of this, they have not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God.
- For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one who believes.
- For Moses writes of the righteousness of the law thus: Whoever shall do these things shall live by them.
- But the righteousness which is of faith, says thus: Do not say in your heart, Who has ascended to heaven and brought Christ down to earth?
- And who has descended into the abyss of Sheol and brought up Christ from the dead?
- But what does it say?
The answer is near to you, even in your mouth and in your heart, that is, the word of faith which we preach;
- So if you will confess with your mouth our Lord Jesus and will believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved.
- For the heart which believes in him shall be declared righteous, and the mouth that confesses him shall live.
- For the scripture says, Whosoever believes in him shall not be ashamed.
- ¶ And in this, it does not discriminate between the Jews and the Arameans;
for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon him.
- For whoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- How then can they call on him in whom they have not believed?
Or how can they believe in him whom they have never heard?
Or how can they hear without a preacher?
- Or how can they preach if they are not sent forth?
As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who preach peace, and of those who bring good tidings!
- But all have not heard the preaching of the gospel.
For Isaiah said, My Lord, who has believed the echoes of our voice?
- So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- But I say, Have they not heard?
And behold the echoes of their voices have gone out over all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world.
- But I say, Did not Israel know?
First Moses spoke thus: I will provoke you to jealousy by a people that are not my people, and I will make you angry by a stubborn people.
- Then Isaiah dared to say, I appeared to those who did not seek me, and was found by those who did not ask for me.
- But to Israel he said, All the day long I have stretched out my hands to a quarrelsome and disobedient people.