- ¶ THEN Naomi said to her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for you, that it may be well with you?
- And, behold, Boaz is our kinsman, with whose maidens you were;
and behold, he is going to winnow barley tonight in the threshing floor.
- Wash yourself therefore, and anoint yourself, and put on your best garments, and go down to the threshing floor;
but do not show yourself to him until he has finished eating and drinking.
- And it shall be, when he lies down, that you shall remember the place where he lies, and you shall draw near and lie down near his feet;
and he will tell you what you shall do.
- And she said to her, All that you say to me I will do.
- ¶ So she went down to the threshing floor, and did according to all that her mother-in-law had told her.
- And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went and lay at the side of the threshing floor;
and while he was in deep sleep in the threshing floor, she came secretly and lifted the end of his robe and lay down near his feet.
- And it came to pass at midnight that the man woke up and was startled when he saw a woman lying at his feet.
- And he said to her, Who are you?
And she answered, I am Ruth, your handmaid;
cover therefore your maidservant with the end of your robe, for you are a near kinsman.
- And Boaz said to her, Blessed be you of the LORD, my daughter;
for you have shown more kindness in the latter days than at the beginning of your life in that you have not gone after young men, whether rich or poor.
- And now, my daughter, fear not;
for I will do for you all that you ask of me;
for all the family of our people know that you are a virtuous woman.
- And now it is true that I am a near kinsman;
however, there is another kinsman nearer than I.
- Now, tarry this night and lodge here till dawn, and it shall be in the morning, if he will perform to you the part of a kinsman, well, let him do it;
but if he is unwilling to do the part of a kinsman to you, then, as the LORD lives, if he does not do the part of a next of kin to you, I will do the part of a kinsman to you;
then he said to her, Lie down until the morning.
- ¶ So she lay at his feet until dawn;
and she rose up early in the morning while it was dark, before one could recognize another.
And she said to him, Let it not be known that I came down to you to the threshing floor.
- And Boaz said to her, Spread your mantle;
and she spread it, and he measured six measures of barley, lifted it up, and laid it on her back;
and she went into the city.
- And when she came to her mother-in-law, she said to her, Who are you, my daughter?
And she answered, I am Ruth, and she told her all that Boaz had done for her;
- And how he had given her six measures of barley, and had said to her, Go not empty-handed to your mother-in-law.
- Then her mother-in-law said to her, Sit still, my daughter, until you know the outcome;
for the man will not rest until he brings the case to judgment today.