- ¶ I AM come into my garden, my sister, my bride;
I have gathered my myrrh with my spices, I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey, I have drunk my wine with my milk.
Eat, O my friends;
drink, yea, drink abundantly, O my beloved.
- ¶ I slept, but my heart was awake;
it is the voice of my beloved who is knocking, saying, Open to me, my sister, my beloved, my harmless dove;
for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night.
- I have put off my coat;
how shall I put it on?
I have washed my feet;
how shall I defile them?
- My beloved put in his hand by the opening of the door, and my heart was moved for him.
- I rose up to open to my beloved;
and my hands dropped myrrh, yea, and my fingers dropped myrrh upon the handles of the lock.
- I opened to my beloved;
but my beloved had withdrawn himself, and was gone;
my soul failed when he spoke;
then I sought him but I could not find him;
I called him but he did not answer me.
- The watchmen that went about the city found me;
they smote me, they wounded me;
the keepers of the walls took away my veil from me.
- I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if you should find my beloved, tell him that I am sick for love.
- ¶ What is your beloved more than another beloved, O you beautiful among women?
What is your beloved more than another beloved, that you so adjure us?
- My beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand.
- His head is like the finest gold, his locks straight and black as a raven.
- His eyes are like the eyes of doves by brooks of water, washed with milk and fitly set.
- His cheeks are like beds of spices, like sweet flowers;
his lips like lilies, dropping myrrh and spikenard.
- His hands are like golden girdles studded with precious stones;
his belly is like a work of ivory overlaid with sapphires.
- His legs are like pillars of marble set upon bases of gold;
his chest is like Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.
- His mouth is like sweet honeycombs;
his garments are lovely.
This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.