- ¶ OH, the famous city, the saved city;
the city of Jonah!
- She obeyed not the voice;
she received not discipline;
she trusted not in the LORD;
she drew not near to her God.
- Her princes within her are roaring like lions;
her judges are like evening wolves;
they wait not for the morning.
- Her prophets are wanton and treacherous persons;
her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law.
- But the just LORD is in her midst;
he will not do iniquity;
every morning he brings his justice to light, he is never late;
but the wicked knows no shame.
- I have destroyed the nations and removed the misery;
I have made their streets waste, so that no one walks in them;
their cities are desolate, without a man and without the inhabitants.
- I said, Surely they will worship me, they will accept discipline from me;
and she will not fail to see of all that I have decreed concerning her;
but they hastened and corrupted all their doings.
- ¶ Therefore wait for me, says the LORD, until the day when I rise up to give testimony;
for my judgment is at hand, to gather the nations and to bring the kingdoms near, to pour out my indignation upon them, even all my fierce anger;
for in the fire of my zeal shall all the earth be devoured.
- For then I will restore to the people a pure speech, that they may call upon the name of the LORD to serve him with one consent.
- From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia they shall bring me sacrifices.
- In that day you shall not be ashamed for all your doings wherein you have transgressed against me;
for then I will remove from the midst of you the might of your pride, and you shall no more be haughty because of my holy mountain.
- I will also leave in the midst of you an afflicted and humble people, and they shall trust in the name of the LORD.
- The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies;
neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth;
for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall harm them.
- ¶ Sing, O daughter of Zion;
sound a trumpet, O Israel;
be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O daughter of Jerusalem.
- The LORD has taken away your judgments, he has cast out your enemies;
the King of Israel, even the LORD, is in the midst of you;
you shall not see evil any more.
- In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear not;
and to Zion, Let not your hands be weak.
- The LORD your God in the midst of you is a mighty Saviour;
he will make you to rejoice with gladness;
he will renew you with his love, he will make you joyful with a praise as in the day of a feast.
- I will remove from you those who spoke reproach against you.
- Behold, at that time I will humble all that are in the midst of you;
and I will save her that has been subjugated, and gather her that was cast far off;
and I will make them for fame and for praise in every land where they had been put to shame.
- At that time I will bring you again, and at that very time I will gather you;
for I will make you a name and a praise among all the people of the earth, when I bring back your captivity in the presence of your enemies, says the LORD.