- And it cometh to pass when Saul hath turned back from after the Philistines, that they declare to him, saying, `Lo, David [is] in the wilderness of En-gedi.'
- And Saul taketh three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and goeth to seek David and his men, on the front of the rocks of the wild goats,
- and he cometh in unto folds of the flock, on the way, and there [is] a cave, and Saul goeth in to cover his feet;
and David and his men in the sides of the cave are abiding.
- And the men of David say unto him, `Lo, the day of which Jehovah said unto thee, Lo, I am giving thine enemy into thy hand, and thou hast done to him as it is good in thine eyes;' and David riseth and cutteth off the skirt of the upper robe which [is] on Saul — gently.
- And it cometh to pass afterwards that the heart of David smiteth him, because that he hath cut off the skirt which [is] on Saul,
- and he saith to his men, `Far be it from me, by Jehovah;
I do not do this thing to my lord — to the anointed of Jehovah — to put forth my hand against him, for the anointed of Jehovah he [is].'
- And David subdueth his men by words, and hath not permitted them to rise against Saul;
and Saul hath risen from the cave, and goeth on the way;
- and David riseth afterwards, and goeth out from the cave, and calleth after Saul, saying, `My lord, O king!' And Saul looketh attentively behind him, and David boweth — face to the earth — and doth obeisance.
- And David saith to Saul, `Why dost thou hear the words of man, saying, Lo, David is seeking thine evil?
- Lo, this day have thine eyes seen how that Jehovah hath given thee to-day into my hand in the cave;
and [one] said to slay thee, and [mine eye] hath pity on thee, and I say, I do not put forth my hand against my lord, for the anointed of Jehovah he [is].
- `And, my father, see, yea see the skirt of thine upper robe in my hand;
for by cutting off the skirt of thy upper robe, and I have not slain thee, know and see that there is not in my hand evil and transgression, and I have not sinned against thee, and thou art hunting my soul to take it!
- `Jehovah doth judge between me and thee, and Jehovah hath avenged me of thee, and my hand is not on thee;
- as saith the simile of the ancients, From the wicked goeth out wickedness, and my hand is not on thee.
- `After whom hath the king of Israel come out? after whom art thou pursuing? — after a dead dog! after one flea!
- And Jehovah hath been for judge, and hath judged between me and thee, yea, he seeth and pleadeth my cause, and doth deliver me out of thy hand.'
- And it cometh to pass, when David completeth to speak these words unto Saul, that Saul saith, `Is this thy voice, my son David?' and Saul lifteth up his voice, and weepeth.
- And he saith unto David, `More righteous thou [art] than I;
for thou hast done me good, and I have done thee evil;
- and thou hast declared to-day how that thou hast done good with me, how that Jehovah shut me up into thy hand, and thou didst not slay me,
- and that a man doth find his enemy, and hath sent him away in a good manner;
and Jehovah doth repay thee good for that which thou didst to me this day.
- `And, now, lo, I have known that thou dost certainly reign, and the kingdom of Israel hath stood in thy hand;
- and, now, swear to me by Jehovah — thou dost not cut off my seed after me, nor dost thou destroy my name from the house of my father.'
- And David sweareth to Saul, and Saul goeth unto his house, and David and his men have gone up unto the fortress.