- And the ark of Jehovah is in the field of the Philistines seven months,
- and the Philistines call for priests and for diviners, saying, `What do we do to the ark of Jehovah? let us know wherewith we send it to its place?'
- And they say, `If ye are sending away the ark of the God of Israel, ye do not send it away empty;
for ye do certainly send back to Him a guilt-offering;
then ye are healed, and it hath been known to you why His hand doth not turn aside from you.'
- And they say, `What [is] the guilt-offering which we send back to Him?' and they say, `The number of the princes of the Philistines — five golden emerods, and five golden mice — for one plague [is] to you all, and to your princes,
- and ye have made images of your emerods, and images of your mice that are corrupting the land, and have given honour to the God of Israel;
it may be He doth lighten His hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land;
- and why do ye harden your heart as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their heart? do they not — when He hath rolled Himself upon them — send them away, and they go?
- `And now, take and make one new cart, and two suckling kine, on which a yoke hath not gone up, and ye have bound the kine in the cart, and caused their young ones to turn back from after them to the house,
- and ye have taken the ark of Jehovah, and put it on the cart, and the vessels of gold which ye have returned to Him — a guilt-offering — ye put in a coffer on its side, and have sent it away, and it hath gone;
- and ye have seen, if the way of its own border it goeth up to Beth-Shemesh — He hath done to us this great evil;
and if not, then we have known that His hand hath not come against us;
an accident it hath been to us.'
- And the men do so, and take two suckling kine, and bind them in the cart, and their young ones they have shut up in the house;
- and they place the ark of Jehovah upon the cart, and the coffer, and the golden mice, and the images of their emerods.
- And the kine go straight in the way, on the way to Beth-Shemesh, in one highway they have gone, going and lowing, and have not turned aside right or left;
and the princes of the Philistines are going after them unto the border of Beth-Shemesh.
- And the Beth-Shemeshites are reaping their wheat-harvest in the valley, and they lift up their eyes, and see the ark, and rejoice to see [it].
- And the cart hath come in unto the field of Joshua the Beth-Shemeshite, and standeth there, and there [is] a great stone, and they cleave the wood of the cart, and the kine they have caused to ascend — a burnt-offering to Jehovah.
- And the Levites have taken down the ark of Jehovah, and the coffer which [is] with it, in which [are] the vessels of gold, and place [them] on the great stone;
and the men of Beth-Shemesh have caused to ascend burnt-offerings and sacrifice sacrifices in that day to Jehovah;
- and the five princes of the Philistines have seen [it], and turn back [to] Ekron, on that day.
- And these [are] the golden emerods which the Philistines have sent back — a guilt-offering to Jehovah: for Ashdod one, for Gaza one, for Ashkelon one, for Gath one, for Ekron one;
- and the golden mice — the number of all the cities of the Philistines — for the five princes, from the fenced city even unto the hamlet of the villages, even unto the great meadow on which they placed the ark of Jehovah — [are] unto this day in the field of Joshua the Beth-Shemeshite.
- And He smiteth among the men of Beth-Shemesh, for they looked into the ark of Jehovah, yea, He smiteth among the people seventy men — fifty chief men;
and the people mourn, because Jehovah smote among the people — a great smiting.
- And the men of Beth-Shemesh say, `Who is able to stand before Jehovah, this holy God? and unto whom doth He go up from us?'
- And they send messengers unto the inhabitants of Kirjath-Jearim, saying, `The Philistines have sent back the ark of Jehovah;
come down, take it up unto you.'