- And Abijah lieth with his fathers, and they bury him in the city of David, and reign doth Asa his son in his stead: in his days was the land quiet ten years.
- And Asa doth that which is good, and that which is right, in the eyes of Jehovah his God,
- and turneth aside the altars of the stranger, and the high places, and breaketh the standing-pillars, and cutteth down the shrines,
- and saith to Judah to seek Jehovah, God of their fathers, and to do the law and the command;
- and he turneth aside out of all cities of Judah the high places and the images, and the kingdom is quiet before him.
- And he buildeth cities of bulwarks in Judah, for the land hath quiet, and there is no war with him in these years, because Jehovah hath given rest to him.
- And he saith to Judah, `Let us build these cities, and compass [them] with wall, and towers, two-leaved doors, and bars, while the land [is] before us, because we have sought Jehovah our God, we have sought, and He giveth rest to us round about;' and they build and prosper.
- And there is to Asa a force bearing target and spear, out of Judah three hundred thousand, and out of Benjamin, bearing shield and treading bow, two hundred and eighty thousand: all these [are] mighty of valour.
- And come out unto them doth Zerah the Cushite with a force of a thousand thousand, and chariots three hundred, and he cometh in unto Mareshah,
- and Asa goeth out before him, and they set battle in array in the valley of Zephathah at Mareshah.
- And Asa calleth unto Jehovah his God, and saith, `Jehovah! it is nothing with Thee to help, between the mighty and those who have no power;
help us, O Jehovah, our God, for on Thee we have leant, and in Thy name we have come against this multitude;
O Jehovah, our God thou [art];
let him not prevail with Thee — mortal man!
- And Jehovah smiteth the Cushim before Asa, and before Judah, and the Cushim flee,
- and Asa and the people who [are] with him pursue them even to Gerar, and there fall of the Cushim, for they have no preserving, because they have been broken before Jehovah, and before His camp;
and they bear away very much spoil,
- and smite all the cities round about Gerar, for a fear of Jehovah hath been upon them, and they spoil all the cities, for abundant spoil hath been in them;
- and also tents of cattle they have smitten, and they capture sheep in abundance, and camels, and turn back to Jerusalem.