- In the third month of the going out of the sons of Israel from the land of Egypt, in this day they have come into the wilderness of Sinai,
- and they journey from Rephidim, and enter the wilderness of Sinai, and encamp in the wilderness;
and Israel encampeth there before the mount.
- And Moses hath gone up unto God, and Jehovah calleth unto him out of the mount, saying, `Thus dost thou say to the house of Jacob, and declare to the sons of Israel,
- Ye — ye have seen that which I have done to the Egyptians, and I bear you on eagles' wings, and bring you in unto Myself.
- `And now, if ye really hearken to My voice, then ye have kept My covenant, and been to Me a peculiar treasure more than all the peoples, for all the earth [is] Mine;
- and ye — ye are to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation: these [are] the words which thou dost speak unto the sons of Israel.'
- And Moses cometh, and calleth for the elders of the people, and setteth before them all these words which Jehovah hath commanded him;
- and all the people answer together and say, `All that Jehovah hath spoken we do;' and Moses returneth the words of the people unto Jehovah.
- And Jehovah saith unto Moses, `Lo, I am coming unto thee in the thickness of the cloud, so that the people hear in My speaking with thee, and also believe in thee to the age;' and Moses declareth the words of the people unto Jehovah.
- And Jehovah saith unto Moses, `Go unto the people;
and thou hast sanctified them to-day and to-morrow, and they have washed their garments,
- and have been prepared for the third day;
for on the third day doth Jehovah come down before the eyes of all the people, on mount Sinai.
- `And thou hast made a border [for] the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, going up into the mount, or coming against its extremity;
whoever is coming against the mount is certainly put to death;
- a hand cometh not against him, for he is certainly stoned or shot through, whether beast or man it liveth not;
in the drawing out of the jubilee cornet they go up into the mount.'
- And Moses cometh down from the mount unto the people, and sanctifieth the people, and they wash their garments;
- and he saith unto the people, `Be ye prepared for the third day, come not nigh unto a woman.'
- And it cometh to pass, on the third day, while it is morning, that there are voices, and lightnings, and a heavy cloud, on the mount, and the sound of a trumpet very strong;
and all the people who [are] in the camp do tremble.
- And Moses bringeth out the people to meet God from the camp, and they station themselves at the lower part of the mount,
- and mount Sinai [is] wholly a smoke from the presence of Jehovah, who hath come down on it in fire, and its smoke goeth up as smoke of the furnace, and the whole mount trembleth exceedingly;
- and the sound of the trumpet is going on, and very strong;
Moses speaketh, and God doth answer him with a voice.
- And Jehovah cometh down on mount Sinai, unto the top of the mount, and Jehovah calleth for Moses unto the top of the mount, and Moses goeth up.
- And Jehovah saith unto Moses, `Go down, protest to the people, lest they break through unto Jehovah to see, and many of them have fallen;
- and also the priests who are coming nigh unto Jehovah do sanctify themselves, lest Jehovah break forth on them.'
- And Moses saith unto Jehovah, `The people [is] unable to come up unto mount Sinai, for Thou — Thou hast protested to us, saying, Make a border [for] the mount, then thou hast sanctified it.'
- And Jehovah saith unto him, `Go, descend, then thou hast come up, thou, and Aaron with thee;
and the priests and the people do not break through, to come up unto Jehovah, lest He break forth upon them.'
- And Moses goeth down unto the people, and saith unto them: —