- And Abram goeth up from Egypt (he and his wife, and all that he hath, and Lot with him) towards the south;
- and Abram [is] exceedingly wealthy in cattle, in silver, and in gold.
- And he goeth on his journeyings from the south, even unto Bethel, unto the place where his tent had been at the commencement, between Bethel and Hai —
- unto the place of the altar which he made there at the first, and there doth Abram preach in the name of Jehovah.
- And also to Lot, who is going with Abram, there hath been sheep and oxen and tents;
- and the land hath not suffered them to dwell together, for their substance hath been much, and they have not been able to dwell together;
- and there is a strife between those feeding Abram's cattle and those feeding Lot's cattle;
and the Canaanite and the Perizzite [are] then dwelling in the land.
- And Abram saith unto Lot, `Let there not, I pray thee, be strife between me and thee, and between my shepherds and thy shepherds, for we [are] men — brethren.
- Is not all the land before thee? be parted, I pray thee, from me;
if to the left, then I to the right;
and if to the right, then I to the left.'
- And Lot lifteth up his eyes, and seeth the whole circuit of the Jordan that it [is] all a watered country (before Jehovah's destroying Sodom and Gomorrah, as Jehovah's garden, as the land of Egypt,) in thy coming toward Zoar,
- and Lot chooseth for himself the whole circuit of the Jordan;
and Lot journeyeth from the east, and they are parted — a man from his companion;
- Abram hath dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot hath dwelt in the cities of the circuit, and tenteth unto Sodom;
- and the men of Sodom [are] evil, and sinners before Jehovah exceedingly.
- And Jehovah said unto Abram, after Lot's being parted from him, `Lift up, I pray thee, thine eyes, and look from the place where thou [art], northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward;
- for the whole of the land which thou are seeing, to thee I give it, and to thy seed — to the age.
- And I have set thy seed as dust of the earth, so that, if one is able to number the dust of the earth, even thy seed is numbered;
- rise, go up and down through the land, to its length, and to its breadth, for to thee I give it.'
- And Abram tenteth, and cometh, and dwelleth among the oaks of Mamre, which [are] in Hebron, and buildeth there an altar to Jehovah.