- And Abram is a son of ninety and nine years, and Jehovah appeareth unto Abram, and saith unto him, `I [am] God Almighty, walk habitually before Me, and be thou perfect;
- and I give My covenant between Me and thee, and multiply thee very exceedingly.'
- And Abram falleth upon his face, and God speaketh with him, saying,
- `I — lo, My covenant [is] with thee, and thou hast become father of a multitude of nations;
- and thy name is no more called Abram, but thy name hath been Abraham, for father of a multitude of nations have I made thee;
- and I have made thee exceeding fruitful, and made thee become nations, and kings go out from thee.
- `And I have established My covenant between Me and thee, and thy seed after thee, to their generations, for a covenant age-during, to become God to thee, and to thy seed after thee;
- and I have given to thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land of thy sojournings, the whole land of Canaan, for a possession age-during, and I have become their God.'
- And God saith unto Abraham, `And thou dost keep My covenant, thou and thy seed after thee, to their generations;
- this [is] My covenant which ye keep between Me and you, and thy seed after thee: Every male of you [is] to be circumcised;
- and ye have circumcised the flesh of your foreskin, and it hath become a token of a covenant between Me and you.
- `And a son of eight days is circumcised by you;
every male to your generations, born in the house, or bought with money from any son of a stranger, who is not of thy seed;
- he is certainly circumcised who [is] born in thine house, or bought with thy money;
and My covenant hath become in your flesh a covenant age-during;
- and an uncircumcised one, a male, the flesh of whose foreskin is not circumcised, even that person hath been cut off from his people;
My covenant he hath broken.'
- And God saith unto Abraham, `Sarai thy wife — thou dost not call her name Sarai, for Sarah [is] her name;
- and I have blessed her, and have also given to thee a son from her;
and I have blessed her, and she hath become nations — kings of peoples are from her.'
- And Abraham falleth upon his face, and laugheth, and saith in his heart, `To the son of an hundred years is one born? or doth Sarah — daughter of ninety years — bear?'
- And Abraham saith unto God, `O that Ishmael may live before Thee;'
- and God saith, `Sarah thy wife is certainly bearing a son to thee, and thou hast called his name Isaac, and I have established My covenant with him, for a covenant age-during, to his seed after him.
- As to Ishmael, I have heard thee;
lo, I have blessed him, and made him fruitful, and multiplied him, very exceedingly;
twelve princes doth he beget, and I have made him become a great nation;
- and My covenant I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah doth bear to thee at this appointed time in the next year;'
- and He finisheth speaking with him, and God goeth up from Abraham.
- And Abraham taketh Ishmael his son, and all those born in his house, and all those bought with his money — every male among the men of Abraham's house — and circumciseth the flesh of their foreskin, in this self-same day, as God hath spoken with him.
- And Abraham [is] a son of ninety and nine years in the flesh of his foreskin being circumcised;
- and Ishmael his son [is] a son of thirteen years in the flesh of his foreskin being circumcised;
- in this self-same day hath Abraham been circumcised, and Ishmael his son;
- and all the men of his house — born in the house, and bought with money from the son of a stranger — have been circumcised with him.