- And the man knew Eve his wife, and she conceiveth and beareth Cain, and saith, `I have gotten a man by Jehovah;'
- and she addeth to bear his brother, even Abel.
And Abel is feeding a flock, and Cain hath been servant of the ground.
- And it cometh to pass at the end of days that Cain bringeth from the fruit of the ground a present to Jehovah;
- and Abel, he hath brought, he also, from the female firstlings of his flock, even from their fat ones;
and Jehovah looketh unto Abel and unto his present,
- and unto Cain and unto his present He hath not looked;
and it is very displeasing to Cain, and his countenance is fallen.
- And Jehovah saith unto Cain, `Why hast thou displeasure? and why hath thy countenance fallen?
- Is there not, if thou dost well, acceptance? and if thou dost not well, at the opening a sin-offering is crouching, and unto thee its desire, and thou rulest over it.'
- And Cain saith unto Abel his brother, [`Let us go into the field;'] and it cometh to pass in their being in the field, that Cain riseth up against Abel his brother, and slayeth him.
- And Jehovah saith unto Cain, `Where [is] Abel thy brother?' and he saith, `I have not known;
my brother's keeper — I?'
- And He saith, `What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood is crying unto Me from the ground;
- and now, cursed [art] thou from the ground, which hath opened her mouth to receive the blood of thy brother from thy hand;
- when thou tillest the ground, it doth not add to give its strength to thee — a wanderer, even a trembling one, thou art in the earth.'
- And Cain saith unto Jehovah, `Greater is my punishment than to be borne;
- lo, Thou hast driven me to-day from off the face of the ground, and from Thy face I am hid;
and I have been a wanderer, even a trembling one, in the earth, and it hath been — every one finding me doth slay me.'
- And Jehovah saith to him, `Therefore — of any slayer of Cain sevenfold it is required;' and Jehovah setteth to Cain a token that none finding him doth slay him.
- And Cain goeth out from before Jehovah, and dwelleth in the land, moving about east of Eden;
- and Cain knoweth his wife, and she conceiveth, and beareth Enoch;
and he is building a city, and he calleth the name of the city, according to the name of his son — Enoch.
- And born to Enoch is Irad;
and Irad hath begotten Mehujael;
and Mehujael hath begotten Methusael;
and Methusael hath begotten Lamech.
- And Lamech taketh to himself two wives, the name of the one Adah, and the name of the second Zillah.
- And Adah beareth Jabal, he hath been father of those inhabiting tents and purchased possessions;
- and the name of his brother [is] Jubal, he hath been father of every one handling harp and organ.
- And Zillah she also bare Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every artificer in brass and iron;
and a sister of Tubal-Cain [is] Naamah.
- And Lamech saith to his wives: — `Adah and Zillah, hear my voice;
Wives of Lamech, give ear [to] my saying: For a man I have slain for my wound, Even a young man for my hurt;
- For sevenfold is required for Cain, And for Lamech seventy and sevenfold.'
- And Adam again knoweth his wife, and she beareth a son, and calleth his name Seth, `for God hath appointed for me another seed instead of Abel:' for Cain had slain him.
- And to Seth, to him also a son hath been born, and he calleth his name Enos;
then a beginning was made of preaching in the name of Jehovah.