- Whence [are] wars and fightings among you? not thence — out of your passions, that are as soldiers in your members?
- ye desire, and ye have not;
ye murder, and are zealous, and are not able to attain;
ye fight and war, and ye have not, because of your not asking;
- ye ask, and ye receive not, because evilly ye ask, that in your pleasures ye may spend [it].
- Adulterers and adulteresses! have ye not known that friendship of the world is enmity with God? whoever, then, may counsel to be a friend of the world, an enemy of God he is set.
- Do ye think that emptily the Writing saith, `To envy earnestly desireth the spirit that did dwell in us,'
- and greater grace he doth give, wherefore he saith, `God against proud ones doth set Himself up, and to lowly ones He doth give grace?'
- be subject, then, to God;
stand up against the devil, and he will flee from you;
- draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you;
cleanse hands, ye sinners! and purify hearts, ye two-souled!
- be exceeding afflicted, and mourn, and weep, let your laughter to mourning be turned, and the joy to heaviness;
- be made low before the Lord, and He shall exalt you.
- Speak not one against another, brethren;
he who is speaking against a brother, and is judging his brother, doth speak against law, and doth judge law, and if law thou dost judge, thou art not a doer of law but a judge;
- one is the lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy;
thou — who art thou that dost judge the other?
- Go, now, ye who are saying, `To-day and to-morrow we will go on to such a city, and will pass there one year, and traffic, and make gain;'
- who do not know the thing of the morrow;
for what is your life? for it is a vapour that is appearing for a little, and then is vanishing;
- instead of your saying, `If the Lord may will, we shall live, and do this or that;'
- and now ye glory in your pride;
all such glorying is evil;
- to him, then, knowing to do good, and not doing, sin it is to him.