- And it cometh to pass when Jabin king of Hazor heareth, that he sendeth unto Jobab king of Madon, and unto the king of Shimron, and unto the king of Achshaph,
- and unto the kings who [are] on the north in the hill-country, and in the plain south of Chinneroth, and in the low country, and in the elevations of Dor, on the west,
- [to] the Canaanite on the east, and on the west, and the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Jebusite in the hill-country, and the Hivite under Hermon, in the land of Mizpeh —
- and they go out, they and all their camps with them, a people numerous, as the sand which [is] on the sea-shore for multitude, and horse and charioteer very many;
- and all these kings are met together, and they come and encamp together at the waters of Merom, to fight with Israel.
- And Jehovah saith unto Joshua, `Be not afraid of their presence, for to-morrow about this time I am giving all of them wounded before Israel;
their horses thou dost hough, and their chariots burn with fire.'
- And Joshua cometh, and all the people of war with him, against them by the waters of Merom suddenly, and they fall on them;
- and Jehovah giveth them into the hand of Israel, and they smite them and pursue them unto the great Zidon, and unto Misrephoth-Maim, and unto the valley of Mizpeh eastward, and they smite them, till he hath not left to them a remnant;
- and Joshua doth to them as Jehovah said to him;
their horses he hath houghed, and their chariots burnt with fire.
- And Joshua turneth back at that time, and captureth Hazor, and its king he hath smitten by the sword;
for Hazor formerly [is] head of all these kingdoms;
- and they smite every person who [is] in it by the mouth of the sword;
he hath devoted — he hath not left any one breathing, and Hazor he hath burnt with fire;
- and all the cities of these kings, and all their kings, hath Joshua captured, and he smiteth them by the mouth of the sword;
he devoted them, as Moses, servant of Jehovah, commanded.
- Only, all the cities which are standing by their hill, Israel hath not burned them, save Hazor only, [it] hath Joshua burnt;
- and all the spoil of these cities, and the cattle, have the sons of Israel spoiled for themselves;
only, every human being they have smitten by the mouth of the sword, till their destroying them;
they have not left any one breathing.
- As Jehovah commanded Moses His servant, so did Moses command Joshua, and so hath Joshua done;
he hath not turned aside a thing of all that Jehovah commanded Moses.
- And Joshua taketh all this land: the hill-country, and all the south, and all the land of Goshen, and the low country, and the plain, even the hill-country of Israel and its low lands,
- from the mount of Halak, which is going up [to] Seir, and unto Baal-Gad, in the valley of Lebanon, under mount Hermon;
and all their kings he hath captured, and he smiteth them, and putteth them to death.
- Many days hath Joshua made with all these kings war;
- there hath not been a city which made peace with the sons of Israel save the Hivite, inhabitants of Gibeon;
the whole they have taken in battle;
- for from Jehovah it hath been to strengthen their heart, to meet in battle with Israel, in order to devote them, so that they have no grace, but in order to destroy them, as Jehovah commanded Moses.
- And Joshua cometh at that time, and cutteth off the Anakim from the hill-country, from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, even from all the hill-country of Judah, and from all the hill-country of Israel;
with their cities hath Joshua devoted them.
- There hath not been left Anakim in the land of the sons of Israel;
only in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod, were they left.
- And Joshua taketh the whole of the land, according to all that Jehovah hath spoken unto Moses, and Joshua giveth it for an inheritance to Israel according to their divisions, by their tribes;
and the land hath rest from war.