- And it cometh to pass, many days after that Jehovah hath given rest to Israel from all their enemies round about, that Joshua is old, entering into days,
- and Joshua calleth for all Israel, for its elders, and for its heads, and for its judges, and for its authorities, and saith unto them, `I have become old;
I have entered into days;
- and ye — ye have seen all that Jehovah your God hath done to all these nations because of you, for Jehovah your God [is] He who is fighting for you;
- see, I have caused to fall to you these nations who are left for an inheritance to your tribes, from the Jordan, (and all the nations which I cut off), and the great sea, the going in of the sun.
- `As to Jehovah your God, He doth thrust them from your presence, and hath dispossessed them from before you, and ye have possessed their land, as Jehovah your God hath spoken to you,
- and ye have been very strong to keep and to do the whole that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, so as not to turn aside from it right or left,
- so as not to go in among these nations, these who are left with you;
and of the name of their gods ye do not make mention, nor do ye swear, nor do ye serve them, nor do ye bow yourselves to them;
- but to Jehovah your God ye do cleave, as ye have done till this day.
- And Jehovah is dispossessing from before you nations great and mighty;
as for you, none hath stood in your presence till this day;
- one man of you doth pursue a thousand, for Jehovah your God [is] He who is fighting for you, as He hath spoken to you;
- and ye have been very watchful for yourselves to love Jehovah your God.
- `But — if ye at all turn back and have cleaved to the remnant of these nations, these who are left with you, and intermarried with them, and gone in to them, and they to you,
- know certainly that Jehovah your God is not continuing to dispossess these nations from before you, and they have been to you for a gin, and for a snare, and for a scourge, in your sides, and for thorns in your eyes, till ye perish from off this good ground which Jehovah your God hath given to you.
- `And lo, I am going, to-day, in the way of all the earth, and ye have known — with all your heart, and with all your soul — that there hath not fallen one thing of all the good things which Jehovah your God hath spoken concerning you;
the whole have come to you;
there hath not failed of it one thing.
- `And it hath been, as there hath come upon you all the good thing which Jehovah your God hath spoken unto you, so doth Jehovah bring upon you the whole of the evil thing, till His destroying you from off this good ground which Jehovah your God hath given to you;
- in your transgressing the covenant of Jehovah your God which He commanded you, and ye have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them, then hath the anger of Jehovah burned against you, and ye have perished hastily from off the good land which He hath given to you.'