- And the sons of Israel come in, — all the company — to the wilderness of Zin, in the first month, and the people abide in Kadesh, and Miriam dieth there, and is buried there.
- And there hath been no water for the company, and they are assembled against Moses, and against Aaron,
- and the people strive with Moses, and speak, saying, `And oh that we had expired when our brethren expired before Jehovah!
- and why have ye brought in the assembly of Jehovah unto this wilderness to die there, we and our beasts?
- and why hast thou brought us up out of Egypt to bring us in unto this evil place? no place of seed, and fig, and vine, and pomegranate;
and water there is none to drink.
- And Moses and Aaron go in from the presence of the assembly unto the opening of the tent of meeting, and fall on their faces, and the honour of Jehovah is seen by them.
- And Jehovah speaketh unto Moses, saying,
- `Take the rod, and assemble the company, thou and Aaron thy brother;
and ye have spoken unto the rock before their eyes, and it hath given its water, and thou hast brought out to them water from the rock, and hast watered the company, and their beasts.'
- And Moses taketh the rod from before Jehovah, as He hath commanded him,
- and Moses and Aaron assemble the assembly unto the front of the rock, and he saith to them, `Hear, I pray you, O rebels, from this rock do we bring out to you water?'
- and Moses lifteth up his hand, and smiteth the rock with his rod twice;
and much water cometh out, and the company drink, also their beasts.
- And Jehovah saith unto Moses, and unto Aaron, `Because ye have not believed in Me to sanctify Me before the eyes of the sons of Israel, therefore ye do not bring in this assembly unto the land which I have given to them.'
- These [are] waters of Meribah, because the sons of Israel have `striven' with Jehovah, and He is sanctified upon them.
- And Moses sendeth messengers from Kadesh unto the king of Edom, `Thus said thy brother Israel, Thou — thou hast known all the travail which hath found us;
- that our fathers go down to Egypt, and we dwell in Egypt many days, and the Egyptians do evil to us and to our fathers;
- and we cry unto Jehovah, and He heareth our voice, and sendeth a messenger, and is bringing us out of Egypt;
and lo, we [are] in Kadesh, a city [in] the extremity of thy border.
- Let us pass over, we pray thee, through thy land;
we pass not over through a field, or through a vineyard, nor do we drink waters of a well;
the way of the king we go, we turn not aside — right or left — till that we pass over thy border.'
- And Edom saith unto him, `Thou dost not pass over through me, lest with sword I come out to meet thee.'
- And the sons of Israel say unto him, `In the highway we go, and if of thy waters we drink — I and my cattle — then I have given their price;
only (it is nothing) on my feet I pass over.'
- And he saith, `Thou dost not pass over;' and Edom cometh out to meet him with much people, and with a strong hand;
- and Edom refuseth to suffer Israel to pass over through his border, and Israel turneth aside from off him.
- And the sons of Israel, the whole company, journey from Kadesh, and come in unto mount Hor,
- and Jehovah speaketh unto Moses and unto Aaron in mount Hor, on the border of the land of Edom, saying,
- `Aaron is gathered unto his people, for he doth not go in unto the land which I have given to the sons of Israel, because that ye provoked My mouth at the waters of Meribah.
- `Take Aaron and Eleazar his son, and cause them to go up mount Hor,
- and strip Aaron of his garments, and thou hast clothed [with] them Eleazar his son, and Aaron is gathered, and doth die there.'
- And Moses doth as Jehovah hath commanded, and they go up unto mount Hor before the eyes of all the company,
- and Moses strippeth Aaron of his garments, and clotheth with them Eleazar his son, and Aaron dieth there on the top of the mount;
and Moses cometh down — Eleazar also — from the mount,
- and all the company see that Aaron hath expired, and they bewail Aaron thirty days — all the house of Israel.