- To the Overseer.
— A Psalm of David.
Deliver me, O Jehovah, from an evil man, From one of violence Thou keepest me.
- Who have devised evils in the heart, All the day they assemble [for] wars.
- They sharpened their tongue as a serpent, Poison of an adder [is] under their lips.
- Preserve me, Jehovah, from the hands of the wicked, From one of violence Thou keepest me, Who have devised to overthrow my steps.
- The proud hid a snare for me — and cords, They spread a net by the side of the path, Snares they have set for me.
- I have said to Jehovah, `My God [art] Thou, Hear, Jehovah, the voice of my supplications.'
- O Jehovah, my Lord, strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of armour.
- Grant not, O Jehovah, the desires of the wicked, His wicked device bring not forth, They are high.
- The chief of my surrounders, The perverseness of their lips covereth them.
- They cause to fall on themselves burning coals, Into fire He doth cast them, Into deep pits — they arise not.
- A talkative man is not established in the earth, One of violence — evil hunteth to overflowing.
- I have known that Jehovah doth execute The judgment of the afflicted, The judgment of the needy.
- Only — the righteous give thanks to Thy name, The upright do dwell with Thy presence!