- To the Overseer.
— A Psalm of David.
I have diligently expected Jehovah, And He inclineth to me, and heareth my cry,
- And He doth cause me to come up From a pit of desolation — from mire of mud, And He raiseth up on a rock my feet, He is establishing my steps.
- And He putteth in my mouth a new song, `Praise to our God.' Many do see and fear, and trust in Jehovah.
- O the happiness of the man Who hath made Jehovah his trust, And hath not turned unto the proud, And those turning aside to lies.
- Much hast Thou done, Jehovah my God;
Thy wonders and Thy thoughts toward us, There is none to arrange unto Thee, I declare and speak: They have been more than to be numbered.
- Sacrifice and present Thou hast not desired, Ears Thou hast prepared for me, Burnt and sin-offering Thou hast not asked.
- Then said I, `Lo, I have come,' In the roll of the book it is written of me,
- To do Thy pleasure, my God, I have delighted, And Thy law [is] within my heart.
- I have proclaimed tidings of righteousness In the great assembly, lo, my lips I restrain not, O Jehovah, Thou hast known.
- Thy righteousness I have not concealed In the midst of my heart, Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation I have told, I have not hidden Thy kindness and Thy truth, To the great assembly.
- Thou, O Jehovah, restrainest not Thy mercies from me, Thy kindness and Thy truth do continually keep me.
- For compassed me have evils innumerable, Overtaken me have mine iniquities, And I have not been able to see;
They have been more than the hairs of my head, And my heart hath forsaken me.
- Be pleased, O Jehovah, to deliver me, O Jehovah, for my help make haste.
- They are ashamed and confounded together, Who are seeking my soul to destroy it, They are turned backward, And are ashamed, who are desiring my evil.
- They are desolate because of their shame, Who are saying to me, `Aha, aha.'
- All seeking Thee rejoice and are glad in Thee, Those loving Thy salvation say continually, `Jehovah is magnified.'
- And I [am] poor and needy, The Lord doth devise for me.
My help and my deliverer [art] Thou, O my God, tarry Thou not.