- To the Overseer.
— `Concerning the Lily of Testimony,' a secret treasure of David, to teach, in his striving with Aram-Naharaim, and with Aram-Zobah, and Joab turneth back and smiteth Edom in the valley of Salt — twelve thousand.
O God, Thou hadst cast us off, Thou hadst broken us — hadst been angry! — Thou dost turn back to us.
- Thou hast caused the land to tremble, Thou hast broken it, Heal its breaches, for it hath moved.
- Thou hast shewn Thy people a hard thing, Thou hast caused us to drink wine of trembling.
- Thou hast given to those fearing thee an ensign.
To be lifted up as an ensign Because of truth.
- That Thy beloved ones may be drawn out, Save [with] Thy right hand, and answer us.
- God hath spoken in His holiness: I exult — I apportion Shechem, And the valley of Succoth I measure,
- Mine [is] Gilead, and mine [is] Manasseh, And Ephraim [is] the strength of my head, Judah [is] my lawgiver,
- Moab [is] my pot for washing, over Edom I cast my shoe, Shout, concerning me, O Philistia.
- Who doth bring me [to] a city of bulwarks? Who hath led me unto Edom?
- Is it not Thou, O God? hast Thou cast us off? And dost Thou not go forth, O God, with our hosts!
- Give to us help from adversity, And vain [is] the deliverance of man.
- In God we do mightily, And He treadeth down our adversaries!