- To the Overseer.
— `On the Gittith.' By Asaph.
Cry aloud to God our strength, Shout to the God of Jacob.
- Lift up a song, and give out a timbrel, A pleasant harp with psaltery.
- Blow in the month a trumpet, In the new moon, at the day of our festival,
- For a statute to Israel it [is], An ordinance of the God of Jacob.
- A testimony on Joseph He hath placed it, In his going forth over the land of Egypt.
A lip, I have not known — I hear.
- From the burden his shoulder I turned aside, His hands from the basket pass over.
- In distress thou hast called and I deliver thee, I answer thee in the secret place of thunder, I try thee by the waters of Meribah.
- Hear, O My people, and I testify to thee, O Israel, if thou dost hearken to me:
- There is not in thee a strange god, And thou bowest not thyself to a strange god.
- I [am] Jehovah thy God, Who bringeth thee up out of the land of Egypt.
Enlarge thy mouth, and I fill it.
- But, My people hearkened not to My voice, And Israel hath not consented to Me.
- And I send them away in the enmity of their heart, They walk in their own counsels.
- O that My people were hearkening to Me, Israel in My ways would walk.
- As a little thing their enemies I cause to bow, And against their adversaries I turn back My hand,
- Those hating Jehovah feign obedience to Him, But their time is — to the age.
- He causeth him to eat of the fat of wheat, And [with] honey from a rock I satisfy thee!