- Let every soul to the higher authorities be subject, for there is no authority except from God, and the authorities existing are appointed by God,
- so that he who is setting himself against the authority, against God's ordinance hath resisted;
and those resisting, to themselves shall receive judgment.
- For those ruling are not a terror to the good works, but to the evil;
and dost thou wish not to be afraid of the authority? that which is good be doing, and thou shalt have praise from it,
- for of God it is a ministrant to thee for good;
and if that which is evil thou mayest do, be fearing, for not in vain doth it bear the sword;
for of God it is a ministrant, an avenger for wrath to him who is doing that which is evil.
- Wherefore it is necessary to be subject, not only because of the wrath, but also because of the conscience,
- for because of this also pay ye tribute;
for servants of God they are, on this very thing attending continually;
- render, therefore, to all [their] dues;
to whom tribute, the tribute;
to whom custom, the custom;
to whom fear, the fear;
to whom honour, the honour.
- To no one owe anything, except to love one another;
for he who is loving the other — law he hath fulfilled,
- for, `Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false testimony, Thou shalt not covet;' and if there is any other command, in this word it is summed up, in this: `Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself;'
- the love to the neighbor doth work no ill;
the love, therefore, [is] the fulness of law.
- And this, knowing the time, that for us, the hour already [is] to be aroused out of sleep, for now nearer [is] our salvation than when we did believe;
- the night did advance, and the day came nigh;
let us lay aside, therefore, the works of the darkness, and let us put on the armour of the light;
- as in day-time, let us walk becomingly;
not in revellings and drunkennesses, not in chamberings and lasciviousnesses, not in strife and emulation;
- but put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and for the flesh take no forethought — for desires.