- Truth I say in Christ, I lie not, my conscience bearing testimony with me in the Holy Spirit,
- that I have great grief and unceasing pain in my heart —
- for I was wishing, I myself, to be anathema from the Christ — for my brethren, my kindred, according to the flesh,
- who are Israelites, whose [is] the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the lawgiving, and the service, and the promises,
- whose [are] the fathers, and of whom [is] the Christ, according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed to the ages.
- And it is not possible that the word of God hath failed;
for not all who [are] of Israel are these Israel;
- nor because they are seed of Abraham [are] all children, but — `in Isaac shall a seed be called to thee;'
- that is, the children of the flesh — these [are] not children of God;
but the children of the promise are reckoned for seed;
- for the word of promise [is] this;
`According to this time I will come, and there shall be to Sarah a son.'
- And not only [so], but also Rebecca, having conceived by one — Isaac our father —
- (for they being not yet born, neither having done anything good or evil, that the purpose of God, according to choice, might remain;
not of works, but of Him who is calling,) it was said to her —
- `The greater shall serve the less;'
- according as it hath been written, `Jacob I did love, and Esau I did hate.'
- What, then, shall we say? unrighteousness [is] with God? let it not be!
- for to Moses He saith, `I will do kindness to whom I do kindness, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion;'
- so, then — not of him who is willing, nor of him who is running, but of God who is doing kindness:
- for the Writing saith to Pharaoh — `For this very thing I did raise thee up, that I might shew in thee My power, and that My name might be declared in all the land;'
- so, then, to whom He willeth, He doth kindness, and to whom He willeth, He doth harden.
- Thou wilt say, then, to me, `Why yet doth He find fault? for His counsel who hath resisted?'
- nay, but, O man, who art thou that art answering again to God? shall the thing formed say to Him who did form [it], Why me didst thou make thus?
- hath not the potter authority over the clay, out of the same lump to make the one vessel to honour, and the one to dishonour?
- And if God, willing to shew the wrath and to make known His power, did endure, in much long suffering, vessels of wrath fitted for destruction,
- and that He might make known the riches of His glory on vessels of kindness, that He before prepared for glory, whom also He did call — us —
- not only out of Jews, but also out of nations,
- as also in Hosea He saith, `I will call what [is] not My people — My people;
and her not beloved — Beloved,
- and it shall be — in the place where it was said to them, Ye [are] not My people;
there they shall be called sons of the living God.'
- And Isaiah doth cry concerning Israel, `If the number of the sons of Israel may be as the sand of the sea, the remnant shall be saved;
- for a matter He is finishing, and is cutting short in righteousness, because a matter cut short will the Lord do upon the land.
- and according as Isaiah saith before, `Except the Lord of Sabaoth did leave to us a seed, as Sodom we had become, and as Gomorrah we had been made like.'
- What, then, shall we say? that nations who are not pursuing righteousness did attain to righteousness, and righteousness that [is] of faith,
- and Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, at a law of righteousness did not arrive;
- wherefore? because — not by faith, but as by works of law;
for they did stumble at the stone of stumbling,
- according as it hath been written, `Lo, I place in Sion a stone of stumbling and a rock of offence;
and every one who is believing thereon shall not be ashamed.'