- And Naomi her mother-in-law saith to her, `My daughter, do not I seek for thee rest, that it may be well with thee?
- and now, is not Boaz of our acquaintance, with whose young women thou hast been? lo, he is winnowing the threshing-floor of barley to-night,
- and thou hast bathed, and anointed thyself, and put thy garments upon thee, and gone down to the threshing-floor;
let not thyself be known to the man till he complete to eat and to drink;
- and it cometh to pass when he lieth down, that thou hast known the place where he lieth down, and hast gone in, and uncovered his feet, and lain down, — and he doth declare to thee that which thou dost do.'
- And she saith unto her, `All that thou sayest — I do.'
- And she goeth down [to] the threshing-floor, and doth according to all that her mother-in-law commanded her
- And Boaz eateth and drinketh, and his heart is glad;
and he goeth in to lie down at the end of the heap;
and she cometh in gently, and uncovereth his feet, and lieth down.
- And it cometh to pass, at the middle of the night, that the man trembleth, and turneth himself, and lo, a woman is lying at his feet.
- And he saith, `Who [art] thou?' and she saith, `I [am] Ruth thy handmaid, and thou hast spread thy skirt over thy handmaid, for thou [art] a redeemer.'
- And he saith, `Blessed [art] thou of Jehovah, my daughter;
thou hast dealt more kindly at the latter end than at the beginning — not to go after the young men, either poor or rich.
- And now, my daughter, fear not, all that thou sayest I do to thee, for all the gate of my people doth know that thou [art] a virtuous woman.
- And now, surely, true, that I [am] a redeemer, but also there is a redeemer nearer than I.
- Lodge to night, and it hath been in the morning, if he doth redeem thee, well: he redeemeth;
and if he delight not to redeem thee, then I have redeemed thee — I;
Jehovah liveth! lie down till the morning.'
- And she lieth down at his feet till the morning, and riseth before one doth discern another;
and he saith, `Let it not be known that the woman hath come into the floor.'
- And he saith, `Give the covering which [is] on thee, and keep hold on it;' and she keepeth hold on it, and he measureth six [measures] of barley, and layeth [it] on her;
and he goeth into the city.
- And she cometh in unto her mother-in-law, and she saith, `Who [art] thou, my daughter?' and she declareth to her all that the man hath done to her.
- And she saith, `These six [measures] of barley he hath given to me, for he said, Thou dost not go in empty unto thy mother-in-law.'
- And she saith, `Sit still, my daughter, till thou dost know how the matter falleth, for the man doth not rest except he hath completed the matter to-day.'