- And Boaz hath gone up to the gate, and sitteth there, and lo, the redeemer is passing by of whom Boaz had spoken, and he saith, `Turn aside, sit down here, such a one, such a one;' and he turneth aside and sitteth down.
- And he taketh ten men of the elders of the city, and saith, `Sit down here;' and they sit down.
- And he saith to the redeemer, `A portion of the field which [is] to our brother, to Elimelech, hath Naomi sold, who hath come back from the fields of Moab;
- and I said, I uncover thine ear, saying, Buy before the inhabitants, and before the elders of my people;
if thou dost redeem — redeem, and if none doth redeem — declare to me, and I know, for there is none save thee to redeem, and I after thee.' And he saith, I redeem [it].'
- And Boaz saith, `In the day of thy buying the field from the hand of Naomi, then from Ruth the Moabitess, wife of the dead, thou hast bought [it], to raise up the name of the dead over his inheritance.'
- And the redeemer saith, `I am not able to redeem [it] for myself, lest I destroy mine inheritance;
redeem for thyself — thou — my right of redemption, for I am not able to redeem.'
- And this [is] formerly in Israel for redemption and for changing, to establish anything: a man hath drawn off his sandal, and given [it] to his neighbour, and this [is] the testimony in Israel.
- And the redeemer saith to Boaz, `Buy [it] for thyself,' and draweth off his sandal.
- And Boaz saith to the elders, and [to] all the people, `Witnesses [are] ye to-day that I have bought all that [is] to Elimelech, and all that [is] to Chilion and Mahlon, from the hand of Naomi;
- and also Ruth the Moabitess, wife of Mahlon, I have bought to myself for a wife, to raise up the name of the dead over his inheritance;
and the name of the dead is not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place;
witnesses ye [are] to-day.'
- And all the people who [are] in the gate say — also the elders — `Witnesses! Jehovah make the woman who is coming in unto thy house as Rachel and as Leah, both of whom built the house of Israel;
and do thou virtuously in Ephrathah, and proclaim the Name in Beth-Lehem;
- and let thy house be as the house of Pharez (whom Tamar bare to Judah), of the seed which Jehovah doth give to thee of this young woman.'
- And Boaz taketh Ruth, and she becometh his wife, and he goeth in unto her, and Jehovah giveth to her conception, and she beareth a son.
- And the women say unto Naomi, `Blessed [is] Jehovah who hath not let a redeemer cease to thee to-day, and his name is proclaimed in Israel,
- and he hath been to thee for a restorer of life, and for a nourisher of thine old age, for thy daughter-in-law who hath loved thee — who is better to thee than seven sons — hath borne him.'
- And Naomi taketh the lad, and layeth him in her bosom, and is to him for a nurse;
- and the neighbouring women give to him a name, saying, `There hath been a son born to Naomi,' and they call his name Obed;
he [is] father of Jesse, father of David.
- And these are genealogies of Pharez: Pharez begat Hezron,
- and Hezron begat Ram, and Ram begat Amminidab,
- and Amminidab begat Nahshon, and Nahshon begat Salmon,
- and Salmon begat Boaz, and Boaz begat Obed,
- and Obed begat Jesse, and Jesse begat David.